can a pure breed min pin have brindle colors?

Asked by Member 1005545 on Sep 25th 2010 in Miniature Pinscher

Answers

Desmond CGC

According to the breed standard, a pure bred Miniature Pinscher should not appear in brindle coloring. The only colors acceptable for a min pin are: red, stag red, black and tan, or chocolate and tan. Blue, silver, tan, and dilute colors are not acceptable to be shown, but can be registered with AKC. Brindle colored Min Pins are more than likely bred as a novelty for a "rare" color. At least, that was my impression when I looked it up. I doubt that a brindle Min Pin would be truly pure bred (certainly not reputably bred, either, since it is such a deviant from the standard).

note: I may be incorrect. I'm not nearly as familiar with min pins as I am with other breeds, so I may be incorrect. I'm just telling you the info I have found after a quick search.

Desmond CGC answered on 9/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baxter

www.akc.org

here is an a.k.c site. It doesn't mean they don't exist.
Unless you have registeration and a very responsible breeder the dog could of been crossed.
registerations don't resemble a breeder's honesty or breeding practices.
I know of people who are very dishonest in crossing and or just not being careful with their dogs.
It could be very possible the dog is mixed or somehow has the color variation.
Not sure you can email a.k.c and ask them questions.

Baxter answered on 9/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

According to this info Min Pins have dilute colors, but not brindle markings.
www.rescueeverydog.org

A similar looking dog is the Rat terrier, which has more variety of marking and colors.
www.mccartysratterriers.com

Loui

I agree with the first answer. A "Brindle min pin" is not a breed. Brindle is just the color of the animal. Like black, brown or dapple. There are usually only just red, black and red min pins. They arent pure bred if they are any other color.

Loui answered on 10/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have Registered Min-Pins, A Black & Tan male. & a Red Female in their litter there were 3reds 1 blk &tan and 2 brindle.one a red and a very light brindle, other one is a very dark tan/brown brindle...we kept these and do not plan on breeding them. I dont know if your not suposed to breed the differant colors and thats why we were so lucky. but we love them. So call it what you want to but we have two littermates brindle in color. that are 100% min pins.

DJ

There were what were known as Harlequin miniature pinschers in the 1940s.

Today they are extinct, min pins sold and bred by breeders claiming otherwise are likely scammers and puppy millers trying to capitalize on "rarity."

This link covers the min pin color genes very well.
www.operationblueprints.com

DJ answered on 10/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I own Harlequin Pinschers. ( includes "brindle min pins")
In 2007 a woman re-established the breed (after fighting to reintroduce the beautiful and colorfully marked dogs) from a one time cross with a merle/brindle rat terrier.
LONG story short, 7 generations down the line (from that first cross) breeding only to pure bred min pins, you have a DNA proven, pure bred "Harlequin Pinscher". Brindles are included as a "Harlequin Pinscher".
You can find all of this information on the ACR website. Its not a huge registry like AKC (who else is that big?) but it does have standards and they do have annual shows.
My "harlies" ( this is what the small but upcoming community around the world affectionately refer to them as) are very wonderful and fun loving, they have no health problems and are as stout and hardy as solid color min pins. There is no difference between them except the color of their fur... just like humans ;)
I'll post pics of my baby Apollo so you can see.
I hope this helps.

Foxxy

I don't think brindle is the same as merle, so I think maybe there has been some outcrossing if one shows up as brindle. merle(dapple,harlequin) min pins do crop up in the breed occasionally, as do black and silver and salt and pepper. They're registerable, but not showable,as it is a fault in the breed at this time

Foxxy answered on 3/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The brindle coloring is from a cross--a Rat terrier aand a Min Pin. This is NOT pure bred. As history dictates MP's originate mostly from the Italain Greyhound,& Black and Tan Terrier. The brindle color pattern does not exist in these breeds. The merling pattern however does in the IG, which is the reason umpteen decades ago there were some merle MP's. They have been bred out. The new HPA Brindle & merle/harlequin is a cross. They say after 7 generations it is pure Min Pin. Well just because you call a canary an eagle, doesnt make it an eagle...its still a canary.
I challenege these so called "brindle & harlequin breeders" to do a DNA test on their dogs to confirm they are in fact 100% Miniature Pinscher.

No it is impossible. Be careful when buying a so called "purebred" dog with "rare or unusual" colors. If it's purebred it's colors should be within the breed standard. A brindle min pin is no more "purebred" than a "blue merle" chihuehua.

Gia

I agree with the others, I don't think that is a pure Min Pin, choclate and tan, black and tan, and red are the only colors the AKC takes, blues, silvers, and brindles are said to be "rare colors" but are not pure bred, any professional breeder knows that and usually breeds only natural colors. If you want a brindle Min Pin, please adopt, do not be tricked into paying extra for a "rare color"

Gia answered on 7/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

nope! you can mix a breed though. no purebreds. sorry!

hi, my female red stag just had a litter with a black and tan miniature pinscher. i did get 1 that is brindle in color. so now my question is WHY? out of 5 litters, my female has given me 2 teacup babies, and now 1 brindle. i never heard of brindle, but now i see u must of come acrossed 1 so obviously they do, and can come in brindle. i have been breeding for 5 years now. please keep in touch (dfletcher1968@gmail.com)and let me know what came about ur brindle miniature pinscher. my puppies r now 6 weeks old today.