Lucy

Can a gsd be an outdoor dog?

Ok so a while ago I posted the question "where should I keep my gsd pup?" We'll people are getting wrong idea! I would have said more about the room but It wouldn't let me type anymore, so let me explains. I spend time with my gsd pup and so does my family! She is not completed alone outside either! My older dog is out there too! That "room that I was talking about is where I could be with her when I'm in school! I'm homeschooled so I can do my work in there. It is a fairly big room that's heated. She is not going to be in there all day either. She is only going to be in there when I'm in there, or if its cold out, or if she is hurt, and I'll probably be able to spend way more time with her when we move. And I was wondering y people are telling me that gsd's weren't ment to be outdoor dogs? I know lots of people who keep their gsd outside and there dog is fine! In fact the breeder that we got Lucy from keeps all his dogs outside!
So I so again, will Lucy be alright outside?

Asked by Lucy on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged gsd, outdoors, room in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

You are young. I get that. You have been given advice from people with decades of experience with the German Shepherd Dog. For some reason, you don't seem to be liking the consistent answers you are getting.
I am done trying to offer you the benefit of my over 30 years experience with this breed. My heart breed. It pains me to see yet another young gsd destined for a shelter in a few months due to behaviour issues that could have been resolved if you only listen & act NOW.
Just because some Joe Schmo kept his gsd outside does not make it ideal or even right.
Good luck to you. You will need it.

When I managed a humane society shelter I saw dogs like Lucy all the time being given up because it was a young teenager who was totally out of control.
Someone got the dog with great plans to raise it right. First, the dog wasn't born housebroken and after a few tries, they put it outside in the yard.
Next, the dog was jumping on everyone and nipping everyone so, instead of training it, they yelled at it and kept it in the yard.
Missing the companionship of its owner, it wasn't magically trained by itself and it was easier to just keep it in the yard.
As the poor dog got older, it was bored silly and wasn't getting exercise and training and was getting more and more out of control.
Feeling bad, the owner kept saying they WERE going to start training and exercising it "tomorrow". Tomorrow NEVER came and by the time the dog was a year old it was totally out of control, jumping and biting at everyone and barking day and night, and they got rid of it.
Poor, poor dog!

Mika

You should really just accept the help that has been given to you, instead of being offended by it and think people are misunderstanding you.
It is obvious you are young as the other poster said, and it is sad because |I am very sure you had good intentions with this dog. But for you to think people are misunderstanding you when you are the one who said you dont have time to do this and that is silly. If you dont have time, as you said in your last post, the dog will get left in this "room" and or outside, and it is wrong!

Mika answered on 2/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

People who keep outdoor dogs responsibly typically have actively working dogs, and also spend a great deal of time outdoors with their pets, playing with, exercising, and training them. Talking hours a day here. It is not the same as just keeping a dog outdoors , giving it one brief walk and expecting the other dog to keep it entertained. One typically ends up with an understimulated nuisance that way.

Sabi

I have 3 permanent dogs in a small house with a small yard. All are GSDs. They would be devastated if I left them outside. People who successfully keep them outside spend HOURS each and every day with them. Your girl will suffer if kept from her people. This is not an independant breed, they are a breed that was meant to be with their people. I wouldn't buy from a breeder who left his dogs outside all the time. There is a huge difference between being ok and being happy! The acting up is actually acting out, she is trying to tell you that she needs your attention. At her age she needs several hours of exercise and training daily and if your plan is to spend time with her while you are distracted doing school work I can promise that both the dog and your schooling will suffer.

Sabi answered on 2/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer