How old does a female dog has to be before she starts her cycle. I have a doberman mix w/sheppard

Asked by Member 551728 on Dec 29th 2007 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Cadillac CGC

regardless of when she goes into heat, please spay your dog. she is a mixed breed which means it would be irresponsible to breed her and you cannot show her so there is No reason for her to be intact.

save yourself the mess of her period and the probability of having puppies you cannot find good homes for that will cost you a lot of money and get her fixed. most places have organizations that do it really cheap or for free. call your local shelter they will probably have a list.

Cadillac CGC answered on Dec 30th.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

It's usually somewhere around 6 months, but there's always exceptions to that rule.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mia, My

Female dogs typically go into heat between 8 to 10 months then every six months after that. I have a female dog that I had gotten at 8 months old and she didn't go into heat until 10 months. I asked the vet about it and he is who told me about the time frame.

Mia, My "Best Girl" (deceased) answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

your dog is a mixed breed and should be spayed by 6 months to prevent her from going in to heat. Large dogs can go into heat between 6-10 months.Every dog is an individual.They stay in heat any where from 3-4 weeks.That means bleeding for this amount of time.Letting your dog go through the 1st heat puts her 100% more at risk for mammory gland cancer,uterine infection and major behavioral issues as well.
Please spay your dog so you are not being irresponsable and adding to the population of dogs that are euthanized on a daily basis. Even is you don't intend to breed her,saving her from that chance of health issues and behavior problems is important to along with the possibility that she may accidently get out a get pregnant which would be terrible when she isn't even a year old yet she is still a baby!!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer