Can a dog's owners be located by his rabies tag i.d.?

A dog has taken up at my home with a collar & rabies vaccination tag. I would like to contact the owner, but this is the only info on the dog's collar. Is there nowhere to look up a dog's owner using the rabies tag number?

Asked by Member 550010 on Dec 24th 2007 Tagged founddog, rabiestagnumber in Other Dogster.com

Answers

Gio

Rabies tags will vary between countries and states/provinces, but they usually track back to the city or even the specific vet clinic that the dog was vaccinated at. There should be a phone number on the tag as well as a ID number. If you call that phone number, they will be able to track down the dog's file with the ID number. In that file will be contact info for the owners.

Gio answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gio, you used the same info I would have given out, but said it better than I ever could have!

Peggy Sue  Has Angel Wings

There should be a vet's phone number also on the tag. If you live in Florida it is state law that all animals are registered with County Animal Control. It is law that all the Vet's give the information on the animals to them. Try your animal control if you can not reach the vet.

Peggy Sue Has Angel Wings answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Call the number on there it should be animal control (I personally don't trust them because if you find a stray cat or dog they will pick them up put in a cage if no one cliams the animal it is PTS)descibe the dog or e-mail a pic or send one! Ruff! Ruff!