Cage for my Pit Bull

My pit bull ate up the cage I got for her so where can I get a decent cage for a reasonable price and what size do I need?

Asked by Member 762651 on Nov 3rd 2008 in Pet Products

Answers

You can purchase a metal crate at pretty much any local pet store, or if you want something more reasonable in price, try craigslist. If they offer it in your area, people will post so many things, and often times cages are up on there. Look under the pet section, or you could even place a wanted ad, I believe. I haven't used it, but have heard of it. You would need a cage proportional to her size. How old is she? If she is a puppy, she will obviously grow, so make sure that you get something that isn't TOO large to where she is able to wander around, or too small that she can't grow into it (if you can't purchase two crates, which most people don't). They also make metal crates that have a divider so that you can adjust the crate as your dog grows. If you are going shopping in a store, take her with you to try some out. Best of luck. Please message me if you have any other questions.

How old is your dog?
What kind of crate were you using?

If you were using a metal wire crate, you may want to try a plastic airline type crate instead to see if that works better for your dog. Sometimes dogs are uncomfortable in the wire crates because they are so open, and feel more comfortable in something that is enclosed.

You can purchase plastic crates and also metal crates locally at most pet stores, but if you want to save money, check Craig's List, Pennysaver, the local classifieds, and even area thrift stores. You can often get some really good deals in those places.

The crate should be JUST large enough for your dog to stand up, turn around, and lay down in. She should not be able to sleep in one end and have enough room to pee in the other end, for example.

To find a good size, take your dog to the pet store and try her in different size crates to get an idea. Keep the measurements (they'll be on the box!) at hand for when you look at crates elsewhere. :)