Buying from reputable breeder; puppies have fleas at 6 weeks. Is this normal? Should we get a discount?

We are purchasing a Weimaraner from a reputable breeder with plenty of experience. Upon a recent visit, however, we learned that the puppies all have fleas. They are about 6 weeks, but we are pretty sure we've seen fleas on them since the first visit at 6 days. Is this normal / common? Should we be getting a discount on the purchase price?

Thanks.

Asked by Member 1039739 on Jul 5th 2011 Tagged puppy, breeder, fleas, discount in Health & Wellness

Answers

HaHa..a discount for fleas! No, you won't get a discount for fleas. All dogs can get fleas & they are easily treated. If you did your research & the breeder is reputable, I don't see any issues here. Ask the breeder what they recommend using on such a young pup.

Amazing Grace

Hi, Fleas may be common but not acceptable in my circle. Why tolerate fleas when FRONTLINE® can be used on nursing dogs. I suggest you request the pup be treated at 8 weeks with FRONTLINE® PLUS before bringing the pup and the fleas home with you. Continued monthly treatments at home will help prevent re-infestation and break the flea life cycle in the new environment.

Amazing Grace answered on 7/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with the post saying that you request the dog be treated before you take the puppy home. Not really sure how good a breeder they are if their kennels are that full of fleas.

Lilly

reputable breeders would never sell a puppy with fleas. If they did happen to have a puppy that got fleas they'd treat it before sending the puppy to its new home. You might want to reevaluate your definition of reputable breeder.
A puppy that young having fleas is a big health concern...it can lead to anemia and a whole host of other issues if not dealt with quickly

Lilly answered on 7/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yeah. No reputable breeder would have fleas on any of their animals. That is not exceptable.

Pass on the puppy. Lord knows what else they didn't take care of.

Y'know, I think I'd have to know more about the situation to give a definite answer, but I probably wouldn't end up holding it against him. If it's a ton of fleas, maybe, but fleas are very common and very easy to get. I'd ask the breeder himself about it.

Rescue puppies with fleas are cheaper !!! Just my opinion.

What is your definition of reputable????
Mine includes making sure that ALL dogs, including puppies, are checked DAILY for fleas and/or other parasites and treated immediately if any are found.
If you are seeing fleas I can only wonder what other things such as worms, etc., are also there but are not visible to the naked eye.
My definition of reputable must be different than yours, I guess.
Have the parents had all health testing, including hip and elbow certifications and eye testing and clearances? Prior to buying, you need to SEE copies of the certifications on BOTH parents.
I would question whether these tests have been done and how reputable this breeder really is if something as obvious as fleas are allowed to remain on the puppies. Experience alone does not make a breeder reputable.

Thanks for all of your answers everybody, but I need to clarify something.

For those of you questioning the "reputable breeder" comment, it's quite frustrating. Obviously we did not know about the fleas before determining this was a reputable breeder. We chose them before the puppies were born based on a host of factors including 1) experience, 2) hip, elbow, eye certs, 3) birth certs of the parents showing clean and long blood line, 4) knowledge of the breed, 5) whelping practices, 6) repeat customers, etc. We did our homework. It was not until the recent flea issue that a flag was raised.

So please, if you're going to answer the question, then just answer the question -- it's quite unhelpful to read a rant on definitions of reputable v. unreputable. It is entirely beside the point.