Bullitt

Bullitt ate a bunch of chicken wing bones, now his stool is really dry and chalky looking and it smells, what do i do?

Asked by Bullitt on Nov 21st 2007 in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

The chalkiness is more than likely from the marrow in the bone.

But, if he has ANY trouble going, or if you see him straining or if there is even a trace of blood or mucous, please take him to the vet, even if you have to go to an E/R over the holiday.

Even soft, cooked chicken bones can be dangerous to a dog since they can cut or scrape the intestines or stomach lining. Sometimes, they can even puncture the lining or the anal passage when they are coming out.

Also,they can easily cause a blockage, which is a life threatening emergency, as well. That would cause straining to have a bowel movement or looking like he's going, but nothing is coming out.

I'd actually just allow him to work through this by not giving him any different food or oil, if he doesn't have any other symptoms. He will most likely be fine, BUT...

If he acts lethargic or sick in any way, though, please take him in immediately.

Jack answered on Nov 22nd.

Answers

Mr. Tibbs  aka Ch Rivervalley'

Give him so soft food and add some oil to it. Butter if he won't eat the oil mixed with his food. You need to make sure that he gets soft food in his tummy to help digest the bones. Chicken wing bones are pretty soft and there usually isn't a problem with them. I hope that sauce wasn't too hot or he will be drinking water like razy.

Mr. Tibbs aka Ch Rivervalley' answered on 11/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cisco

GOOD JOB there Bullitt!
we have chowed down on our fair share of chicken bones; ya soft food and if you are still worried throw in a bowl of milk. i hope you have a doggy door though.

Cisco answered on 11/22/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would assume they're cooked (since you said wing bones and not wings). frankly I wouldn't worry about it. feed lots of fiber (a tbls of canned pumpkin in some oatmeal should work great) to help push it out, but raw fed dogs (like mine) eat bones all the time. that chalky white poop just means they've had a lot of bone. if it was any larger cooked bones I would worry, but wing bones are so small that I doubt they'll cause much problem. just remember to keep them some place your dog can't get them next time :)

Were the bones raw or cooked?

If the bones were cooked, I would worry because cooked bones can splinter and damage your dog's intestinal tract along the way which can be life threatening.

If they were raw, I would not worry about it. Just keep feeding him his normal food and things will return to normal within a day or so. Raw fed dogs generally have smaller and "drier" stools than dogs that are fed kibble or canned food. Too much bone causes stools to be white or yellowish in color and very dry. Too little bone tends to result in stools that are too soft.

Since dogs have a relatively short digestive tract, your dog should be back to pooping normally by tomorrow if you feed him normally today.