Bull mastiff puppy

My bull mastiff puppy is not eating the recommended daily allowance should i take her to the vets she seems happy and plays a lot but she just is not eating her RDA

Asked by Member 819782 on Mar 26th 2009 Tagged food in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Those are just guidelines and they are almost always on the high side. Thats first.
Second, what are you feeding her? If its anything you can get at the supermarket (Nutrish, Pedigree, Iams, Euk, Purina, etc), or any of the HIlls formulas...Well... If you were a dog you wouldn't want to eat it either since dogs are made to eat meat not corn and wheat.
Third, cut out daily treats, and make sure she is having 3 small meals a day, not one big one. The bowl goes down for 15 minutes and if she doesn't finish it, too bad, it gets picked back up until the next meal time. That will teach her to eat her food at once as oppose to "grazing" all day.
Look for a dog food with a meat then meat-meal as the first two ingredients, no corn (or corn products), no wheat, no by-products, etc. Some of my fave big pup formulas are Orijen, Wellness, Innova (NOT Evo), Fromm, Natural Balance, etc Make sure its lg brd. puppy or the calcium/phosphorus levels are around 1.5% and 1% respectively

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on Mar 26th.

Answers

How old and how much is very important. You could be over feeding her by far.
I have a certain amount I feed my dogs all the time. but one of them is sport dog so she gets more in training usually raw or extra calories.
But, the bags use marketing in their favor. They try to get you to feed more so they can get you to buy another bag right away.
I always wondered if the person who made it up ran his dog through a field all day long or something, lol.
A dog that eats too much can also get in serious trouble. It could kill them if their stomach twists with too much food in it.
Ask your vet for a schedule, your pup should be eating high quality food with no corn several small meals a day and as he gets older the number of meals get less. All depends on the size of dog.

I agree you could be over feeding it. You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

There isn't a shred of scientific evidence to back feeding premium foods. Consumers Reports recently surveyed vets, and the great majority said premium, cornfree, foods were no better.
I think a even stronger case for the common brands is the results of many large, professionally managed service dog schools. They mostly feed iams and other common brands and are very successful.