♥Bridgette♥

Brushing a figity dogs teeth! And horrible breath!

I have had my Bridgette for about 2 months now! She is 3 years old and I guess the 2 previous homes didn't take care of her teeth! Her breath makes me gag! And her teeth look disgusting for a 3 year old dog! I took her to the vet they said to brush her teeth daily and put this "dog mouth wash" in her mouth every day! It's called Chlorhexidine Rinse! She will not sit still for either! She will not bite but she spazs out like I'm trying to rip her teeth out or something! And then she will hide from me for the rest of the day! What can I do to get her to let me brush and rinse her teeth! What else can I do about the bad breath! I also bought this breath freshner your supposed to put in their water! But when I do she won't drink any water! Help! How can I help with her horrific breath and save her teeth!

Asked by ♥Bridgette♥ on Oct 3rd 2007 Tagged teeth, breath, health in Dental Care

Answers

Most dogs' breath isn't great. Unless she was severely malnourished before you got her, it certainly isn't normal for a dog this young to have teeth this bad.

Have you talked to your vet about the possibility of a stomach disorder, like acid reflux? Does she ever vomit yellow bile?

I'd not put the mouth wash in her water. Try getting her used to the brush and maybe you won't need the wash.

Instead of a tooth brush, try one of those rubber finger sleeves with built in bristles and doggie toothpaste (never human stuff, its toxic to them.) Most vets say that getting the outside of the teeth is enough and if you do this every day, I think you'll see an improvement. Also, get food that promotes good dental health, like Canidae cookies which have rosemary and mint in them. They work very well.

I'd highly suspect that there might be something else going on healthwise besides her teeth if there's no improvement within a few weeks.

Dixie

Hi Bridgette! Dental care can be problematic with tiny pups like Bridgette, and our poms Dixie and Digger. They began developing tartar on their teeth before they were 1 year old! Their breath was unbearable due to the tartar. We started twice yearly dentals performed by the vet and brushing at home. The bad breath is gone! The brushing alone is not enough for these pups. Their mouths are soooo tiny, and the lips are very tight around the teeth, so it is impossible to get to all the teeth. I would discuss the cleaning with my vet so you can start with a clean slate. Then at home start with baby steps - one tooth at a time if you have to. Use chicken flavored toothpaste and give her a favorite treat as soon as you are done. This is what I did with Dixie, who was a terror at first. Greenies are supposed to be great for the teeth, and definitely dry food. I agree with Jack - the stuff in the water does not work. Good Luck!

Dixie answered on 10/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

margie

Bad teeth in small dogs is a common problem. They have something called CET chews with enzymes that help break down the tartar. Also you can get foods that are designed to help with dental tartar.Hills/Royal Canine and Purina all make a perscription food for dental health. First though I would get her teeth cleaned.

margie answered on 10/3/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

cara

Maybe she needs her teeth cleaned at the vet. They do say that charcoal biscuits are good for bad breath in a dog. Or you can buy those chews that are supposed to clean their teeth as well

cara answered on 10/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Annie

Hi,

In my experience, you can brush, rinse & go after those teeth all you want. You are not getting at the source of the problem, just covering up symptoms. I have two big dogs at home who both had less than stellar breath. I've switched them over to a raw food diet and their breath doesn't smell at all anymore. Chewing on raw foods and bones has done wonders for their teeth as well as their coats and health.

Sadly, commercially prepared foods have many fillers & carbohydrates in them. No matter how expensive they are, they all have fillers and carbs in them! Dogs can't process carbs and it just ends up as exhaust (so to speak). It also gums up their systems and adds a bunch of extra chemicals and junk that ends up as bad breath and poor health.

I'd try raw. You might be amazed at the difference! There is a raw feeding group on yahoo that was very helpful when I started. Info, portions, how to introduce, etc.

Certainly worth a look for better health, longer life and better breath.

Annie answered on 10/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

★ Panda ★

Brushing and mouth wash and all this will not help until you get her teeth cleaned professionally by the vet. Just like humans, if you have tartar build up, brushing doesn't help, you have to go to the dentist to get them cleaned.
2nd, I hope you are not feeding wet food. That will just make it worse. Dry food helps keep the teeth strong and healthy and clean.
She may not want you brushing her teeth because her mouth might really hurt. Thats why she needs them cleaned by the vet.
When it is time to brush them, I agree with the baby steps. Just remain calm, act like its not big deal. Don't get excited or anxious. Don't anticipate her acting out, because then she will. Don't get mad if she doesn't want it either. That doesn't help and only makes it worse the next time.
Well, good luck!

★ Panda ★ answered on 10/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bentley

I have discovered that kelp or kelp powder & fresh parsley (grind) added to their food really helps their breath, heart, lungs and thyroid. It doesn't fix the problem over night but after about 6 weeks what a difference and it is healthy, natural and VERY inexpensive..

Bentley answered on 10/4/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jasper

Get some really yummy treats out. Brush one or two strokes, feed her some yummy treats, then put the toothbrush away.

Repeat the next day, adding another one or two strokes before she gets the treats. Within a week or two hopefully she will associate tooth brushing with yummies. :)

I agree that a professional dental prophy might be in order. Also, (and I know this is gross to a lot of people) you can try gently scratching her teeth with a fingernail, and often the scales of plaque will scrape right off.

Jasper answered on 10/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer