Toby

Brittany Spaniel or English Springer Spaniel?

I know all dogs are different, but on average, do Brittany Spaniels or English Springer Spaniels have more energy? Would one of them enjoy frisbee more than the other? Thanks :)

Asked by Toby on Mar 7th 2011 in Breeds

Answers

♥ Sparky ♥

I am an english springer spaniel... and I am a bundle of enery, even at 2 going on 3! We are great dogs, and I'd say quite a challenge in the first 1 1/2 years, but that is to be expected by any pup. Now there are 2 types of English Springers (No, I am not talking about English and Welsh Springers). There is the field type and then the show type. The field type tends to grow up differently, meaning body structure is just a bit different. the field type has short hair, unlike the typical long haired. I am considered the "Field type", which tend to have more energy, and let me tell you... it all depends on how the dog is raised, and be sure to go to a reputable breeder and they may tell you more, like if there dogs are field type or show. The field type tends to be faster, but if you EVER took them in a show rink, you may be kicked out. A judge wouldn't put up with me... heh heh. Not that we aren't well trained, just that the hair and all is different. Please PMAIL ME! I'll tell you more

♥ Sparky ♥ answered on 3/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brittanys (they are not really a Spaniel, actually... more of an all-purpose hunting dog) tend to be VERY high energy. I would put them above a Springer in that regard. Since they are much less popular as pets, most of the Brits in America have been bred as working gundogs, not pets. You are much more likely to find a mellow Springer (hint: BENCH lines, not field!) than a mellow Brittany. I wouldn't really recommend a field-bred individual of either breed as a regular pet. They need a JOB.

Both breeds could be great frisbee dogs- it's a matter of training, mostly.

You can check out these sites for more information -
English Springer Spaniel -

en.wikipedia.org

www.dogbreedinfo.com

www.springerrescue.org

www.youtube.com

Brittany Spaniel -

en.wikipedia.org

www.youtube.com

www.dogbreedinfo.com

Apollo

Bruno is incorrect. We Brittany Spaniels are, in fact, Spaniels. We don't perform in the field like our Spaniel cousins (we perform more like pointers and setters, and that's why the AKC formally dropped "Spaniel" from our name) but we are genetically just as much a Spaniel as a Cocker or a Springer.

Now, to answer your question, I'm currently 4 months old and have TONS of energy. I'm up and running from sunrise until sunset unless I tire myself out at the dog park. My master has a roommate whose parents have a 1 1/2 year old Springer Spaniel and she's also very energetic. According to the roommate and his parents, there's no discernible difference in the personality/energy level of a Brittany Spaniel and a Springer Spaniel before the age of 3. Once we both mature, however, we Brittany Spaniels are the more energetic of the two breeds. We're also 5-10 lbs lighter, shed much less, are more streamlined, and have shorter ears. I hope this helps.

Apollo answered on 5/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer