Toby

Breed Selector Quiz?

Okay, so I took some of your advide and I took some breed selector quizzes. After researching the ones I got the most, these are the ones left(I got these 2 or 3 times. The highest I got was 3 for Golden Retriever).
Irish Setter
Australian Shepherd
Brittany
Labrador Retriever
Border Collie
Golden Retriever
German Short-haired Pointer
What do you think of these breeds? (Experience preffered) And I do know that most of the time, the tests are not acurate. I plan to do agility and frisbee with my dog, if possible.

EDIT: I have narrowed it down to just these:
Australian Shepherd
Labrador Retriever
Border Collie
Golden Retriever

Asked by Toby on Dec 2nd 2010 in Breeds

Answers

Ginger-  M.I.A.

well, keep in mind NONE of these tests are really accurate. Plus it's easy to say you want a high-energy dog if you've never had one before and don't know what it's like.

The Golden is the most mellow of all the breeds you picked. Needs the least exercise, especially a show type dog rather than a hunting dog.

I've never had either, but heard that the GSP and Brittany are not appropriate for people who aren't going to actually hunt with them. They are too specialized to be happy as normal pets.

I don't know if people who don't do herding or agility should have Border Collies either. Again, too specialized.

I think a BC mixed with a less-intense breed is the best choice for someone who wants the looks and intelligence but does not need the herding drive.

I would check out Petfinder and see if there are dogs of these breeds near you to check out. Many dog breeds sound good on paper, but you need to meet them to know if it's a good fit.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Blue

These I would pick if I were you, Only if they have good Behavior and not Aggressive:)

Aussie
Labrador
Bordie Collie

These would be best for you..

dogbreedinfo.com

GO to this website and go on top where it says purebreds, hybrids, etc..select Purebreds

Scroll down and there's an alphabet with all the dogs first letter of there breeds

Select the one you want and go from there

I do hope you get a good dog..Remember its a responsibility that you keep that dog(s) SAFE!!! and supervised!! at all circumstances

Have a Merry Christmas!

Blue answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is the test I just took, it comes up with a lot of results for what dog would be right for you. My first result came up as a mixed breed -

www.selectsmart.com

You can ask in the Dogster Choosing the Right Dog Forum -

www.dogster.com

From reading your past posts & your latest ones, I would go with an adult lab for you. Labs require a lot of time, patience, training, & exercise as puppies, but once they get to be about 2-3 they settle down immensely. They still need exercise, but are not as hyper, & can be home while you are at school without going nuts (like the BC or AS). You could find a breed-specific rescue, or check your local shelters. My brother had a goldie. She was a handful until she was 3, but then mellowed out quite a bit.

Chase

I agree with Wiley.
When I was 15 my dad brought home a lab and she got into everything constantly. She had so much energy and just needed to do stuff.
Here we are 7 years later (so weird to think of her as that old already!) and Lady just snoozes all day and uses her tail to knock things off the coffee table, and has since I moved out at 18. Super mellow dogs.
The same for Golden Retrievers, I've heard. I have no experience with them, though.

Chase answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Faith (CGC)

Have you thought about mixes? I like a Borador for you. A cross between a Lab and a Border Collie. These dogs are plentiful in shelters—one of the more common mixes. I have owned both labs and border collies and met a few Boradors. Expect a happy dog with the friendliness of a lab and brains of a Border Collie. The Border Collie gives focus and the lab mellows the BC down a little bit. These dogs are ready to go and will excel in dog sports but also can lay back and take it easy if neccassary. Good luck and pmail with any questions!

This is a GREAT link with much info on the mix.
www.designermixes.org

Faith (CGC) answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer