Border collie/aussie mix having repeated balance issues, vet has no clue what is wrong

My dog, a 2yr old aussie/border collie mix, keeps having problems with her balance. I have taken her to two different vets. The first time she was tilting her head to one side and walking like she was dizzy and panting. Vet said wax buildup putting pressure on the nerve. Got steroids and ear drops. A couple days later she is feeling better. I moved to a different state a month later and a few weeks after that she started having the same symptoms, took her to the small towns vet and he said ear infection. Gave her another antibiotic and inflammatory. She got better around the 5th day. Thought it was all over with until another three weeks later i saw her starting to act strange, wanting to get ahead of it took her back, vet couldnt find anything, said it was behavior from a new environment. Two days later she couldnt walk because she was so wobbly and dizzy. Took her to vet again and the vet looked confused and kept her for a few days. He ran all the standard tests

Asked by Member 1140408 on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged balance, shakinglegs, dizzy, wobbling, headtilt, fever, earinfection in Health & Wellness

Answers

Do you think she might be having seizures? Has the vet suggested that?

It's possible she might need to see a neurology specialist....

I am still thinking inner ear infection. A severe infection like this would need a minimum of two weeks treatment with antibiotics. I don't know how long she was treated, but if it wasn't long enough to totally wipe out the bacteria, it will instead create a "super infection", where those remaining bacteria become resistant to the antibiotics.
This seems likely since you do get improvement with the antibiotics each time.
Good luck!!