JD

Blue Buffalo vs Natural Balance... Canidae formula changed and we don't know what to eat!

Hello there! Mom loves this because we get such helpful answers out here!

Ok, so we were on Canidae, but their change in formula gave us HORRIBLE gas, so we're currently eating Purina One (Mom knows, it's not very good...but all 3 of us handle it very well, plus we have good poops and no gas!)

In the past, we tried Solid Gold (it did not sit well), Canidae, and something holistic that turned our teeth green. Mom doesn't like changing our food a lot, but she's worried about keeping us on Purina.

Our trainer recommended Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance... we've read a lot about Wellness too. (And, interestingly, Costco's Kirkland brand?)

We researched on dogfoodproject.com already... I guess the question is, does anyone know which of these foods sits best with most dogs? Since there are 3 of us, Mom wants to make sure it'll go well for us all.

Thank you!!

Asked by JD on Nov 1st 2008 Tagged food, bluebuffalo, naturalbalance, wellness, dogfood in Pet Food

Answers

Honestly, its just trial and error depending on your dog. I would probably try Wellness if I were you. I've also heard great things about Kirkland. Good luck!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jiggs  CGC

Unfortunately talking food is not always easy because what works for my dogs may not work for yours. I can tell you we feed Natural Balance allergy formula to our dogs and they do fine on it. One of our Bulldogs has gas from it but the rest are good. A friend of ours breeds Bulldogs and she feeds Costco Kirkland brand and her dogs do fine on it. We spoke to the Blue Buffalo sales lady at Petco today and she said a lot of dogs get gassy on Blue but its a very good food. We may try it but I think if its not broke why fix it?

Good Luck.

Jiggs CGC answered on 11/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We also had to change food when Canidae changed formulas. We tried several other brands, including Wellness, but have been using Taste of the Wild for several weeks now and my 1 yr old English Mastiff loves it. He is pretty gassy, but he has been on anything we tried. We found some tablets at our local pet store that are for digestive health and really help to reduce the gas. Kind of expensive but my husband says it's the best money he has ever spent.

Sorry to hear your dog had issues with the new Canidae formula. I know a lot of German Shepherds who have gone through Canidae issues as well because the new formula is just so different from the old one.

All of the foods your trainer recommended are decent foods. Blue Buffalo is a nice, inexpensive brand, as is Kirkland. If you're looking for something of better quality, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Fromm's, etc. are all foods you may want to look into IF you have the ability to get them locally. If not, I would try the other brands - pick one to start with, and if that doesn't work for you, try the others in order. :)