Baxter

bloody diarrhea pending stool test. what should i feed him? this doggie has a sensitive tummy.

my dog has diarrhea and blood in his stool. 5 days ago he had the same and i thought it was an allergic reaction. he is very allergy prone, however when it came back this morning, i took in a stool sample for testing.

in addition, i am in the middle of trying to get him on a raw food diet. i have not yet made that transition.

my vet friend told me to buy new dry limited ingredient dog food and mix with pumpkin to help his stool get back to normal. when i went to the pet store the lady suggested that the raw food is actually easier to digest and told to not feed him tonight at all and wait until tomorrow to start the raw without transition.

i am confused on what to feed him. he is allergic to chicken, turkey and duck. i was feeding him ground beef and rice, i just want to soothe his tummy for the meantime. what should i do?! i think raw pet food is the way to go long term, but not sure this is a good time to start it. or is it? bax is 4.5y/o male beagle 33lbs.

Asked by Baxter on Dec 7th 2011 Tagged food, digestion, allergy, rawfooddiet, bloodinstool in Raw Food

Answers

I would do what your vet suggested, at least until he is better. Then I would switch him to raw if you still wish to do that. Good Luck!

Lil Man IZZ

The very best natural solution that has worked for me and my dog-loving friends has been to feed cooked sweet potato mashed with a little broth. Encourage water intake as dehydration is always a concern with diarrhea. I'm sorry to say I disagree with the advice from the pet store lady..PLS check with your Vet before going Raw, especially on a bad tummy. If you werent feeling well you wouldn't want raw, especially with the bacteria & an already weak system. Poor Baxter..(hugs)to him. Hope he feels better soon!

Lil Man IZZ answered on 12/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

I would suggest you miss a meal but ensure your dog is drinking fresh water, then give him some priobiotic yoghurt (just a few spoons) this should settle his tum, then the following day offer him some steamed fish and rice for 24 hours. If his stomach settles then introduce his normal food slowly (in small quantities). If you are going down the BARF route you should be giving him meat and bones he can chew rather than minced meat.

Hope this helps.

Dexter answered on 12/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer