black stuff in dogs ears! What is it?

Asked by Member 934665 on Jan 1st 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

Fly

It's probably some dried up ear wax, or possibly ear mites. You should go to your vet to get it checked out. If it's ear wax, they will clean it out and if its mites, then they will put some medicine in your dogs ears.

Fly answered on 1/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oops sorry Fly I accidently marked you answer non-helpful and now it won't let me fix it.

But I agree with what Fly said and that you should take your dog to a vet and get it checked out to make sure it isn't mites.

Baxter

It could be wax or some yeast.
I would use ear wipes that are made to prevent yeast and mites.

Baxter answered on 1/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Could be dirt/wax and if so, you can buy ear solution at your local pet store and clean the ears using cotton balls (do NOT insert Q-tips inside the ear canal as you could easily puncture the ear drum).

If the ears appear red, swollen, and/or if they are smelly it's likely to be some kind of infection- ear mites? yeast ? bacterial infection? Pets with these infections may shake their head and scratch at the affected ear(s). Do NOT attempt to clean the ears yourself if you suspect an ear infection. The vet will need a sample of the exudate/debris in order to properly diagnose and treat the ear properly.
On a side note, Revolution is one possible treatment if it is ear mites; however you MUST be current on heartworm prevention since giving heartworm prevention to a dog that is already infected with heartworms can cause severe health complications, up to and including death. Ear mites are more common in cats than in dogs.

I agree and think it is yeast/mites. You can buy Ear Cleaner Spray that is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic from PETfection (www.myPETfection.com). Their ear cleaner works extremely well and will help prevent future infestations from occuring.