Shinji

Black blister-like protrusion near incision site

My 12 yo maltese was spayed and revoed mammary tumours 2 weeks ago and got her sutures out yesterday. But there is a BLACK blister-like bubble next to her incision site with pus discharge. Vet just said it's a dead tissue due to limited blood supply which will eventually scab off. But im concerned as there's still pus coming out from it. The actual incision site is pretty much healed but its more like on the suture site, adjacent to the incision. Ive been putting on antibiotic cream after cleaning with salt water. Has anyone had experienced something like this? The blister like 'thing' is BLACK!! She's eating normally, havnet been drinking water though (which ive already mentioned to the vet) but otherwise normal please help...

Asked by Shinji on Aug 2nd 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

You can add some water to her food if your concerned about her water intake. Some dogs love ice cubes, you might try giving her some of those. As for the incision site, if your concerned about the blister, then I would take her back to the vet. Some scabbing happens and sometimes it will drain. What color is the puss? if it is yellow or green, then I would definitely take her back to the vet. If it blood colored, its probably draining. The black is probably dried blood. If the site gets really red and looks inflamed, in that case I would take her back to the vet. Good Luck with her.

My little Pomeranian had this after he was sterilised and I took him back to the VET and they said it was from him biting and licking himself.They gave me one of those big surgery collar thingies to stop him and it healed no problems.