Biting Mastiff scheduled to be put to sleep - HELP!!

My 130 lb mastiff has seperation anxiety, resource guarding, & has been aggressive to strangers since she was 8 months old. She has bitten 4 people. We have 2 young children whom she is good with, but when anyone comes on our property she goes balistic. If we walk her she lunges at every human and animal she sees. We have seen 6 different trainers, a cornell behaviorist, tried a head halter, various muzzles, medication with behavior modification, have converted our garage into a "safe room" for her, and have recently called every breed specific rescue we can find as well as over 50 general rescue orgs. just looking for a home with a trainer or behaviorist qualified to handle her problems. No one will take her and our trainer, behaviorist, and vet are all saying we should put her down. We love her so much, but there is really no question about what we should do. She is a danger to us, herself, and others. We have tried so hard and spent so much time and money, but are spent. HELP

Asked by Member 1043495 on Aug 4th 2011 in Aggression

Answers

Gia

It sounds like you have tried everything, if she is a danger to herself then I think its fair to put her to sleep, deep down she's suffering, try to think of that. Your a great family for putting so much money and effort and love into the dog. Maybe you should call Victoria Stillwell, she's trained some of the hardest dogs and has a TV show on animal planet.

Gia answered on 8/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Maybe you can call Best Friend's Dog Sanctuary in Utah. They take all kinds of animals that are lost causes from all over the country. I know there is a waiting list, but you could put her on it. I don't know what your time frame is, but that would be your last resort before putting her down. If they can't rehabilitate her, she would live out her life in the sanctuary.
I think calling would be better than email. Good Luck!
General Information
Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, Utah 84741-5000
Main phone: (435) 644-2001
Email: info@bestfriends.org

It's NEVER the dogs fault, it's the owner that's the problem. Where was she living before she came to you? Do NOT put her to sleep for being aggressive. Have you ever heard of Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer? He has a show on The National Geographic Channel called "The Dog Whisperer." He is the most amazing dog trainer I have ever seen in my life. Here's his website -

www.cesarsway.com

Here are two Mastiff rescues if you haven't seen these yet -

www.mastiffrescue.org

sosmastiffrescue.org

Cesar Millan has trained aggressive dogs into loving, sweet, obedient dogs. His techniques are amazing, I highly recommend trying his techniques.

How much exercise does she get? How many walks a day does she get? When did this behavior start? How long have you had her?

NO DOG IS UN-TRAINABLE. ALL DOGS ARE TRAINABLE.

Paw-mail me for any more questions you may have.

"It's NEVER the dogs fault, it's the owner that's the problem."

I disagree. Some dogs have genetic and/or neurological problems that are not the fault of the owner. Temperament is part nurture, and part nature -- it is not ALL nuture.

They are currently casting for "It's Me Or The Dog" right now. If you live in the NYC area you should look into it!

www.positively.com