Lilly (RIP)

Big ball on my dog's foot?

A couple of months ago we found a big red ball on my Shih Tzu's foot, it was making it hard for her to walk so when I showed it to my parents they said if its not gone by tomorrow or in two days we'll govet. In two days the big ball was gone well today I found a little red ball (Doesn't seem to bother her at all) on her foot. Any ideas what it might be? I took her out on to the a 30 minute walk (Shes old and doesn't like to walk more than like 15 minutes) so could this be an infection? Should we take her to the vet ASAP?

Asked by Lilly (RIP) on Aug 9th 2010 in Senior Pet

Answers

I would take her in to make sure all is well.
That could of been a cyst or an infection. They can give her oral antibotics to make sure it doesn't come back, and it'll make her feel better most likely

As Dieta said, it can be a recurring infection. You don't mention if the red spot is on the foot in the exact same spot, but if not, it could also be a foxtail, a type of dry weed that is barbed in one direction that commonly causes a painful red bump. It needs to be treated by a vet because once the foxtail works into the flesh, it can actually travel further into the body, even reaching the heart or lungs.

This is less likely if the red bump is in the same place (foxtails wouldn't be in the exact same place twice, usually.) But I would definitely take her to the vet. Any time you have a condition that causes pain, makes walking difficult or is red or swollen, it should be seen quickly. The longer you wait, the longer the chance of something going wrong, and the more pain she'll be in for longer. And you can count on it costing more if you wait, too. So all around, it's best to get dogs in to the vet at the first sign of something like this.

Good luck, hope she's better soon!