Cricket

Beneful Dog Food

My dog has been on a few different diets since I've had her. When I first got her I had her on Pedigree. After a year of that her vet told me to switch her to Purina One. She was on that for about two years before I tried switching her to Call of the Wild. She did not like call of the wild, it is suppose to be very healthy.

She is now on Beneful and loves it. She has eaten it better than any other her other foods she has been on. I have seen where a lot of people do not agree with it. I wanted opinions on Beneful and other brands like it, why or why not feed it to dogs.

Asked by Cricket on Jul 21st 2013 Tagged beneful, food, dry, wet in Pet Food

Answers

www.consumeraffairs.com

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

I'm not an expert in this area by any means. I feed Blue Buffalo Lamb & Rice. I tried the chicken formula and my dog had loose stool every day for a month, so I won't do that again. Dogfoodadvisor.com lists it as a "best food," earning four out of five stars. It's about $35 for a 15 lb. bag or $60 for a 30 lb. one.

If you're wondering about food and looking for more of a conversation than a Q & A, you might try posting your question in the forum rather than Answers.

Sandy

There are two threads about beneful in the food section of the forums part of this website.

Sandy answered on 7/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do not feed Beneful, it is an awful brand of dog food that is very unhealthy to feed. It is filled with corn, wheat, by products, preservatives, artificial flavorings and colors, propylene glycol (antifreeze), etc.

Beneful is not nutritious whatsoever.

Switch her to a better food that's better for her. Feed Merrick Dog Food, it's really good and really healthy.

xena CGC

the reason she loves beneful is the propylene glycol. if you feed it watch her excreted fluid color if dark yellow or brown force more water down her.

xena CGC answered on 7/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Belle

Best to check the Food & Nutrition forum on Dogster, where there are several active discussions on Beneful.

As per the company website, the main ingredients to the "Original" formula are:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, water, meat and bone meal, propylene glycol, sugar

The entire list can be found at www.beneful.com There are too few characters allowed in an answer to copy it in it's entirety here.

The amount of actual, usable food for a dog in Beneful is miniscule. It's appetizing because of the sugar.

It also contains 4 different dyes and menadione, which is a controversial vitamin K supplement.

We fed Belle Kibbles'N'Bits a few times, knowing it was sugary, because she liked it so much. We stopped after it caused acute pancreatitis.

Belle answered on 8/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer