Lexy

Barking Puggle is out of control - PLEASE HELP!

My nealy 4 year old puggle barks at everything and everyone outside our house. It is EXTREMELY annoying. She doesn't respond when we say "NO BARK, QUIET" or even call her name. If she sees a human, a dog, or any THING outside she barks uncontrollably. How can I get her to calm down and stop barking - it's embarassing and a nuisance to our neighbors I am sure!

Asked by Lexy on Aug 4th 2008 in Barking

Answers

Unfortunately, little dogs are known for barking. There are several things that may help you depending on your dog. I have found that using a leash helps lots. When the dog barks you pull and say 'no' or whatever words you choose. Pulling throws the dog off balance and will snap them out of their barking frenzy. She will probably persist but keep doing it. When she does what you ask, reward and go inside. Water also works. Putting water in a spray bottle and spraying helps and also can snap the dog out of it. Make sure you still use voice commands and that you are NOT visable to your dog - spray from behind. If your dog sees you spray her, she can start to associate you with getting in trouble. I have had success with both methods. Bark collars also work but are not as effective. Dogs tend to know when they do and don't have it on.

Zack

This is a beagle instinct - when they hunt, they bark or bay to let the handler and dog pack know they've spotted something so the others can join in the chase. She is trying to get your attention, to alert you something is outside, which is probably why she keeps doing it when you call her name or give commands. The previous answer had lots of good suggestions. Here are some others:

Lower the shades so she can't see outside. Raise them slowly so she can see - as soon as she starts to bark, close them again. Do not open them until she is quiet. Eventually she will learn she can only look outside when she is quiet.

You might also try distracting her by shaking an alumnium can filled with pennies or buttons every time she barks.

Zack answered on 8/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sushi (Never Forgoten)

I agree that its a Beagle instict. I know Pugs don't bark alot. A Beagle may look like "just" a cute little doggy but that little doggy can turn your house into her house. Whe she stops barking remind her what a good girl she is.

Sushi (Never Forgoten) answered on 8/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Every pet owner realizes their dog will sometimes bark. In fact, most people even want their dog to bark if someone comes to the door, or if there’s an unusual noise. After all, these are some of the benefits of man’s best friend.

However, when barking becomes excessive, the benefits of a watchdog are greatly diminished! Not only may you find yourself yelling at your dog (& adding to the commotion!), but you may also find that you don’t even go see why he’s barking. After all, if he barks all the time, why bother checking?

Not only can this problem be annoying for dog owners, but it can also be bothersome to neighbors, and can cause you to ignore your pet should he ever be barking for a real reason.

Most often, excessive barking is caused by lack of socialization. If your dog spends most of his time in the house or the yard, he’s likely to feel much more territorial over the area. Additionally, if your pet hasn’t been thoroughly socialized, he may perceive things as a threat that actually are not!

For example, there is no need for your dog to bark every time your neighbors go in and out of their house, or while they’re in their yard. They belong there. Same goes for the children that walk past every day on their way to school, and other common neighborhood occurrences.

You can help your dog to overcome this problem by working on obedience training and socialization skills. Take him out for a walk around the neighborhood and let him meet lots of people and children. Next time your neighbor is bringing their garbage pails out to the curb, put your dog on his leash and bring him out front to chat with the neighbor and see the pails.

Remember to use your dog’s obedience commands as a way of life, in day to day situations. Rather than yelling from across the room, go over to your dog, tell him "No barking" and put him in a sit/stay. Follow with praise. Similar methods should be used when your dog is barking outdoors too.

With training practice and socialization, your dog’s barking problem can be brought under control. Stick with it and you’ll soon be enjoying your pet more, as well as some peace and quiet!

Kody

I have the SAME problem with my puggle. I have tried everything aside from a shock collar.

My dog is socialized and he has met and played with the kids outside. He has lived in this neighborhood for over a year and still barks. At people, at dogs, at EVERYTHING.
I have closed the blinds and he will bark anyway.
I have tried distracting him, but that works for only a min.
I do not know what to do, its driving me crazy.

Kody answered on 2/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer