Coco

Barking mini Pin

My mini Pin Coco is a great dog. We just got her a few days ago. She is 2 yrs old. I know she use to live with 2 other dogs but when we take her out for walks she barks at them like she wants to attack them...Any ideas why? What can we do to get her over this?

Asked by Coco on Feb 15th 2010 Tagged dog, barking, minipin in Barking

Best Answer

lots of dogs have this. Try to get some help one on one with a trainer they can show you some tips on redirecting and helping the dog overcome her fear of strange dogs.
There is lots of things to try but it is better to hire someone to show you step by step. They can watch your dog and you and find a routine to practice with her.
Also try to buy a harness that does not snap on top.
Go online and buy the Sensation Harness it snaps on the front for your leash this will help and the training you need.
good luck.

Dieta answered on Feb 15th.

Answers

She's definitely adjusting, but may have a leash aggression issues.

Dogs with leash issues often are fine around other dogs, even ones who come to their own home, but are terrors on leash. People interpret this as a dog being protective of them, but it's the dog being extremely anxious and fearful of the other dogs. The barking/snarling on leash is just a way to compensate for the fear.

Bring a lot of soft, super tasty treats with you on walks and when it's quiet, make her sit on a tight leash. Wait for her to look up to and make eye contact. This can take patience, but when she does, reward and praise like crazy. When she does it, you can use a keyword like Eyes! or Yes! Keep practicing when you start to see a dog in the distance, do this eye contact/reward. If you sense her tensing up or starting to bark, make her do Eyes! and then run in the other direction, making it fun for her.

Eventually, it takes the pressure off her and she trusts that she's safe with you on leash.

Emma

You are not alone.

I've had my Emma for 6 months now and it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sweet girl in the house, and then she's the dog everyone has to cross the street when you see her. It's quite embarrassing.

We've taken her to aggression training, which you try to get eye contact when she sees a target, then click and treat her. Emma's getting better, but we've got a long way to go, and we actually signed her up for training again next month.

If you watch "It's me or the dog" with Victoria Stilwell, there is a dog Roxy. She is an English Bulldog. You can probably find a clip online. What Victoria is advocating is what I'm doing with Emma, and something for you to check out to see if your dog behaves the same way. If so, there's a start. I was told that my dog was friendly with other dogs, and she may have been, but single dogs..... its complicated.

Best of luck with Coco. It could be lack of socialization or leash aggression.

Emma answered on 2/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer