Barking at everything that spooks him

Hi there. We have an 18 month old blue merle border collie male who is super-sensitive to the unusual and therefore barks. He does not bark incessantly, but will bark at everything that perturbs him including owl calls, heron calls (we live by a river), people carrying large unusual things (someone with a big rug), cat squabbles etc. he particularly barks at thunder, i.e. he identifies where it's coming from and then barks at that bit of sky. This is more or less when the barking started - at his first thunderstorm. The problem is serious for us as he barks often during the night at owls etc. What can we do to help him over the sensitivity? I have tried playing owl calls to him, but he just tilts his head and more or less asks me why I'm playing owl calls on the computer. he will only bark at the real thing, outside and at night. Help!

Asked by Member 1193019 on Oct 5th 2013 Tagged barking, sensitivity in Barking

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Have you tried a thundershirt? My friends with greyhounds and goldens all swear by this calming jacket/shirt, since we live in a naturally stormy area. You can also spray calming spray in his favorite places, feed calming treats, try pheromone diffusers, play the dog babysitter dvd to distract him and finally, switch to a turkey canned food as a supplement. I have fed Natural Choice grain free turkey food in cans (dark purple color). ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/28/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer