Duke

Ball Obsessed

My dog is totally obsessed with balls. It is his favorite toy and he could literally play for hours if we would indulge him. When he wakes up in the morning the first thing he does is grab his ball and usually drop it near my hands - if he can't find it he runs around the house frantic. We have an inside ball and an outside bal. He sits and drops the inside ball at the door, When I tell him he can go in the yard he instantly gets his outside ball and that is all he wants to do outside. Other than the ball obsession he is as close to perfect as they come, calm, sweet, social with all people and dogs, great cuddler, obedient etc... If I tell him no he will walk away and chew on his ball but he is back in a few minutes. I can live with it but when I watch the Dog Whisperer he always says the obsession is inbalance and that its unhealthy which makes me think i'm doing something wrong and he isn't as happy and healthy as he could be. Does anyone have any strategies to help?

Asked by Duke on Sep 13th 2008 Tagged ballcrazy in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

The Dog Whisperer? Don't care for the show myself.
No, it's fine for him to like his ball and you can even take advantage of that by using it to reward him when he obeys you.

Joshua

Well, my dog liked balls but if you get one of those kongs toys put a treat or cookie inside and show him he will be interested in the smell and want to get it, it worked for my dog, or just get the dog whiperer Victoria Stillwell, she does very well with dogs I do not like Caesar Millan he is really mean to the dogs so I would ask Victoria myself.

Joshua answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If Cesar was correct, 80% of the pups in the world would have a problem! I agree with Treader, its okay, enjoy it.