Rocky

Bad reaction to Frontline Plus, what else can I use??

Rocky is a 4 1/2 year old longhair Chihuahua that we have had for over 4 1/4 years. Twice, within 24 hours of his having Frontline Plus, he has had a terrible reaction, fever, dehydrated, won't eat nor drink, rash, red all over including eyes, ears, nose and underside. He also can't stay still, keeps shaking his back leg. What can I use that is much safer??? Can I use nothing??? He goes in the backyard every couple hours and walks to and in the park once a day. Please help, I am worried. Right now the weather is getting colder (near Chicago, Il) but by March of next year will need to start some preventative measures(?) Thank you, Kathy & Rocky

Asked by Rocky on Oct 22nd 2010 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Comfortis & Capstar have been getting good reviews by folks. I went holistic/natural this year. I put 1 T of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water. I make 2 kinds of biscuits: one has rosemary & garlic in it, & the other uses brewers' yeast. I used lavendar oil on the dogs. A couple of drops between the shoulder blades. It was quite successful, so I will do it again next year. No adverse reactions from the dogs!

Spring and fall are the worse times of year for ticks. They are in search of a winter host......
I live in Connecticut and they are awful right now. My dogs are on Frontline and have a Preventic collar and I still am finding live, engorged ticks on them.

I have resorted to combing them out everytime we come inside with a flea comb. With 3 dogs, I find 4-8 ticks crawling around every time. I seem to find more in the morning, after sunrise, even though it's very cold out.

If he gets that sick from Frontline, get a comb, and keep him out of the shady wet areas ticks like.

Petri

Poor little guy!! Have you checked out www.myPETfection.com? They offer a 100% Organic, Non Toxic Bug Spray you can use instead of Frontline (or use it with another monthly applicator). You just spray it on him daily or before he goes out and your done. I think it smells great, and has worked well at keeping bugs away from my dogs and myself! It works for mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks and will help heal up any existing bites. I recommend it! Hope this helps.

Petri answered on 10/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Here where I live, (Western Oregon) fleas and ticks are not a big deal, so I don't use anything on Bruno, and have never seen a flea on him. Ticks I pick off and throw in the woodstove. Frontline doesn't seem to work on ticks anyway- lots of people who use it find them on their dogs anyway.

Since he's such a little guy, I would just inspect him every time he comes in for a walk, maybe with a flea comb.

Louie

You could try Revolution, its a heart worm preventative and for fleas and ticks. I have also heard of the Garlic, ACV, and Brewers Yeast. Quit using the Frontline, reaction could be worse next time.

Louie answered on 10/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer