Toby

Australian Shepherd vs Border Collie

My family has a male Chihuahua and I'm trying to convince my dad to let me get my own dog. I have been researching for almost a year and I have decided on either a Border collie, or an Australian Shepherd. There is a 5 yr old, 8 yr old, and me. We live in a townhouse but I can give as much exercise for a high energy dog as the next guy. We will move in the next 2 yrs to a larger home. Which do you reccomend?

Asked by Toby on Oct 4th 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Best Answer

Faith (CGC)

As the current teenage owner of a Border Collie and the past owner of 2 Border Collie mixes I can vouch that Border Collies if properly socialized are GREAT dogs with kids. At 4 mos. my Border Collie likes to go on two long walks every day plus several training sessions. The rest of the time (like right now) she sleeps. Very immportant though, a Border Collie MUST be properly trained & socialized while young! My border collies, past and present have always LOVED people and kids. Aussies are friendly also but they tend to be a bit nippy, their herding instincts obviously. Good luck and please pmail me with questions or just to talk!!!

Faith (CGC) answered on Oct 6th.

Answers

Ellie

I'm not sure, it depends on your lifestyle completly. I would research the two breeds extensivly and decide on your own. Note that these are both high energy, smart, herding dogs that need a lot of mental & physical stimulation.

~Also, try adopting - there's too many homeless dogs out there!

Ellie answered on 10/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Herd dogs tend to herd more than sheep. A Border Collie would not be well suited to a family with little kids. An Aussie might do okay if you get a mellow one.

It's not just physical exercise they need. It's mental busy work too. BC's have been known to get into all kinds of trouble.

Today's Aussies are mostly bred for pet an show. Make sure you don't get a "working" line Aussie. My neighbor has 2, a female tri color and a male merle color. The female is great, the male is high strung. She says the merle color does not have as nice a temperment and she would not do another merle for this reason.

Angela

Let Me start off with saying I REALLY don't reccomend either of these breeds if you live in a townhouse and, especially if you can't give it vigourus outdoor exercise for at least 1.5 hours a day, also with your chihuahua, both are herding breeds and if their instinct kicks in they may try to herd your chi, and possibly bite or seriosly injure him. That said, the differences between the breeds is that aussies are generally slightly large and usually have docked tails and sometimes a fuller coat, they are not as intense as border collies, but they do have a strong prey drive as well, border collies are often very intense with herding and often have nervous energy, and if you don't give them work, they will create their own (like chewing up your good shoes or removing the stuffing from your couch), if you must get one of these breeds, I suggest getting involved in a canine sport like herding, agility,flyball,or frisbee. also I have a chihuahua and they get along with other chis, beagles

Angela answered on 10/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

*Tommy*

Both breeds are known to herd small children if not enough exercise if you do decide to get a BC or AS make sure you do alot of research on him/her and make sure the dog meets the family before adopting or getting(including the Chihuahua) its always better to introduce yourselft to the dog and then go from there if the dog jumps/nips/growls/ignores you or is to excited its best to pick another dog you want the dog to be calm and undercontrol and focused on you when you meet him/her

*Tommy* answered on 10/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Saydi Sue.

Border Collie, They are great with kids and fit most lifestyles. While Shepherds can be nippy but they are just as sweet. I suggest a BC.

Saydi Sue. answered on 10/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer