Australian Shepherd hair care? Should their long hair be clipped in warm weather or left uncut yearound?

I've been told NOT to cut hair short but I see it done all the time. I've read that they have a double coat: a soft "down" layer under the long hair "overcoat". This down layer protects them from heat and cold. We need an expert opinion.

Asked by Member 831192 on Apr 28th 2009 in Professional Grooming

Answers

Huntington

You have come to the right dog!!! There is a special brush called a FURminator. It brushes out the undercoat so he wont burn up. Here is the link to the FURminator website:

www.furminator.com

Hope this helps!!

Huntington answered on 4/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

yes the furminator is good for double or undercoat dogs.
But very expensive.
You can do is manually with an undercoat rake. pick one with shorter spikes as you don't want to cut their skin. Don't use lots of pressure and they work pretty good. I found one at petco and they are cheaper in the cat section:) they don't have many teeth on them. great for dogs with undercoats.

DO NOT SHAVE DOWN YOUR DOG :S I work at a grooming salon and we don't recommend it.
Yes aussies are a double coated breed if you shave them down the hair may not grow back the same way or maybe not at all. Their undercoat acts as an insulator in the winter and an airconditioner in the summer believe it or not its a common misconception that to make your dogs cooler you shave them. This can be harmful especially in summer they can get heat stroke sunburn etc. Just make sure you supply plenty of water and access to it. Always make she they have access to a shady spot and never leave them alone in a car.

Piper

I am a an Aussie/Border Collie mix and my Mom was wondering the same thing! A groomer will do a shave but recommends good grooming to help remove any loose hair. It is expensive tho and my Mom is going to try the undercoat rake. ;)

Piper answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fannie

I shaved my Aussie's fur last winter when we moved to California from Chicago. I had DOZENS of so-called experts berate me, telling me what a drastic mistake I had made, I had ruined her coat forever, it would never grow out right, especially because she was a puppy, etc. From the Fannie's point of view, she was a happy dog. She could run and play without collapsing and panting frantically. Well, a year has passed, we moved back to Chicago, and guess what - her coat grew back just fine. She is out in the snow playing happily, these dogs have more fur than a Husky! Their coat is similar to that of a Samoyed. My opinion and experience, if the dog is happier in hot weather with a haircut, go ahead and do it. IT DOES GROW BACK just fine. PS see profile pictures for Fannie after her haircut! She looked cute!

Fannie answered on 1/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Aussie is now three and I have shaved him the last two summers. His coat has grown back beautifully both times. I understand the theory of the undercoat providing cooling, but I have to go by the comfort level of my dog; by March he is so miserable I have to turn the AC on, and by June he will hardly get up and move - and anyone who is familiar with Aussie's know they love to play and have a great work ethic. As soon as he's clipped he's back to his old happy, active self, so obviously it does make a difference - for my dog anyway.

Beatrice

A double coat sheds when it reaches it's pre-determined length, and each hair needs it's own weight to fall out. When you cut this hair by any length, you take away it's weight, so it doesn't fall out when it should. However, new hairs still grow to replace what should be gone.

This can lead to clogged hair folicles, skin issues and an overgrowth of undercoat. The coat then acts like a sponge when wet, and tends to mat more easily. It also requires MORE brushing to get rid of the hair that can't shed by itself anymore. The texture is more difficult to get a brush through and it takes on a dull and dry appearance. This doesn't lessen the maintenance however, it increases it.

Not brushing, and letting the coat mat is bad for your dog for a number of reasons, too many to list here, but in order to keep your dogs skin healthy, you should brush more often if you want to cut it. He'll also need a raincoat if he goes outside when it's wet, as the coat looses it's water repellancy.

Beatrice answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer