Lola, CGC

At what age do puppies (Beagles) calm down?

In other words, when do they lose that puppy energy? I've noticed Lola has been less energetic the past couple of weeks, but with the nicer weather, she has been getting more exercise. Just curious if she is just tired from all the exercise or starting to calm down in general, or perhaps sick.

Asked by Lola, CGC on Apr 14th 2009 in Exercise & Play

Answers

Beagles are very energetic and love walks at any age. I would walk Lola every day and if you have extra time, take her to the park and have her fetch a ball to use up some of that energy. Since Beagles love to follow their nose, you can have a scavenger hunt and hid some treats for her to find and have a trail leading to them. Beagles also require lots of training. You have to be the pack leader with them or they will run all over you! I have a friend that has a 3 year old male and he is very needy, doesn't listen to anyone, scratches at the door consistently until you let him in, and howls outside constantly because his owner didn't and doesn't spend time with him to teach him. In other words, she might slow down a bit but she'll always have lots of energy.

It is good that she is energetic. Means she is healthy
My dog acted like a puppy til she was 4yrs. So they are all different, since the good weather my dogs have been bouncing around before 7am, must be happy winter is over.

Kiki

the only reason my beagle calmed down is because she got fat. other than that she was very energetic for the first 3 or 4 years we had her. don't let yours get far no matter how funny it is :)

Kiki answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer