At what age do male dogs generally start lifting their leg when they go outside?

My 8 mo. old lab squats when he pees and sometimes his front legs get caught in the crossfire!!!

Asked by Jack on May 2nd 2008 in Puppies

Answers

Usually 6 months, but it varies. You can grab his leg when he's squatting and lift it manually. Praise and reward.

Scout 2006-2008

Jack is a cute boy! My dog Scout never lifted his leg until he was with another male dog for a few days and he watched him do it. He was probably about 8-9 months old.

Even lifting their legs though, sometimes they have really bad aim ; - )

Scout 2006-2008 answered on 5/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Zack is 9 months old and he still only occaisionally lifts his legs, but he has the same issue. Now I had a male dog a while back and he was probably 3 and 1/2 or 4 before he finally got the idea, and then he killed my parents bushes. But I think all dogs are different. He will get it in his own time. We are having to encourage Zack because his front legs tend to get caught in the crossfire as well. But we don't try to force him. When he lifts his leg, we do encourage him. But at times we worry because he is an indoor dog and if he were to have an accident, and like all puppies they do, when don't want him lifting his leg inside. Good Luck and Just be patient.

Jack took a long time to pee with his leg up, and he only started doing it with regularity around 11 months to a year old.

Now, he's two and half and he does it every time it is convenience, with a VENGANCE! You should see how high he lifts his leg....enough that he wobbles and has even toppled over. It is almost as if he is making up for lost time.

Don't worry, YOUR Jack will eventually start lifting his leg, eliminating the front leg mess. LOL.

He will start to do it naturally as he gets older. My yorkie is two and still does both. Is he already neutered? I know that makes a difference in when they will lift their leg. It doesn't discourage it or anything.

Jiggs  CGC

Jiggs has only lifted his leg a few times that I've seen and he is 17 months old. I think there is no set age for leg lifting.

Jiggs CGC answered on 5/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

Buddy is just under 6 months and still squats...even though he sees 5 year old Sox lifting his leg. I think it depends on the dog and what's available for them to pee on.

Buddy answered on 5/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cash TT

Cash has never lifted his legs and yea- sometimes he gets his legs wet when he pees! I'm actually glad he doesn't lift his leg- another one of my dog's quirks!

Cash TT answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer