Are treats containing rice flour okay for my dog if she needs to be on a grain free diet?

Asked by Member 1068737 on Nov 6th 2011 in Allergies

Answers

Rice flour is made from rice and rice is a grain so it would depend on WHAT grains she needs to avoid. If she is sensitive to all grains then treats with rice would not be okay.
Also, be aware that MANY foods and treats contain wheat or rice gluten as a binder. This may be identified by other names, so to be safe, google it and familiarize yourself with some of the other things it may be called when used as a binding agent in treats and foods.

Toto is right. When I make treats for dogs with grain allergies/sensitivities I use potato flour, or instant mashed potatoes...as long as it is 100% potato.