Boris

Are too many carrots a bad thing?

We put small carrot chunks in our dogs' kongs each day and I'm beginning to wonder if we're giving them too many.

Any thoughts?

Asked by Boris on May 29th 2009 Tagged treats, carrots, food in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Rusty

It's hard to overfeed a dog on carrots. My only concern would be the effect it has on their poop. If that isn't a problem, I wouldn't worry.

Rusty answered on 5/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Raw carrots, like most vegetables, pass through largely undigested. However, I have read cautions about excesses of certain vitamins from eating too many carrots. I know there is a link at www.woodhavenlabs.com about it.

My poodle eats a PLATE of carrots a day! She loves them. I've never seen any ill effects and she is a happy 12 and a half year old.

I give my big dog a giant carrot every day. I used to give him two huge carrots a day, but he stopped eating them. So, now it's one giant carrot and slices of apples in his Kong.
No ill effects to it at all. I like giving him those treats because it doesn't pack on the pounds.

It's probably okay, though I tend to agree with the person who said that too much of certain vitamins could cause issues, but usually with dogs who are older or have other health issues or are on meds.

If you're concerned, check with your vet. And if he's not sure, ask for a simple blood test that measures vitamin and mineral compound prevelance in the blood. Shouldn't cost more than $20-40 each and you'll know for sure!

Good luck, they sure are a cute pair.

Maverick

Moderation is key. Too much of anything is a bad thing. I'm sure that you would have to give a whole lot of carrots to get a bad side effect, but don't hesitate to just give your vet a call. A call doesn't cost anything and that way you will be assured of how much is ok.

Twizz and I love strawberries too! We love our fruits and veggies!

Maverick answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer