Are tomatoes good for your dog?

I know tomatoe stems are bad for your dogs health but are the acutal tomatoe good how about sliced?? Borcelli??

Asked by Member 494169 on Apr 11th 2008 Tagged tomatoes, food, borcellie in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Dogs tummies can't break down the cell walls in plant products like ours can, so if you are feeding raw tomatoes (just sliced up) most of the nutrients will go right through your dog without even being digested. If you want to feed your dog any fruits or veggies, it is best to do something to break down the cell wall like grind them up in a food processor.

answered on Apr 12th.

Answers

Taser

What I do know are tomatoes are very acidic and cause many dogs problems with diareah and tummy upset.

Taser

Taser answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

Yes, though I would start in moderation. He isn't very big, so go easy on the serving size.

Lily answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with both answers. Jack's food formula contains tomatoes (Wellness brand Super 5) but they are processed along with the rest of the ingredients, so the acidity is much milder and in a much, much smaller amount.

Personally, I wouldn't give my dog sliced tomatoes due to the acidity. My dog has a SLIGHTLY sensitive tummy and I think it wouldn't be good for him.

In general, though, it won't hurt a dog to have a few small pieces. Ditto with broccoli. Keep in mind that most cruciferous veggies like broccoli have a lot of stuff that causes gas, so small amounts are best.