Sunny

Are Tomatoes Bad for dogs?

this year we grew a tomato garden and for some reason sunny loves them. he will not eat rotten or green tomatoes but when they turn red he just grabs it off the plant. I read online that stems and leaves are bad and a green tomato is not that good but is a ripe tomato OK? He eats a ton of them and seems to really enjoy it. Should I keep him away from the tomatoes or do you think it would be OK?
thanks for any advice.

Asked by Sunny on Oct 16th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Jazzy

It is true that green tomatoes are toxic for dogs along with the stems and leaves. But ripe tomatoes are fine for dogs.

Jazzy answered on 10/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

Stick with the red and ripe tomatoes! They are very healthy for dogs just like they are for us! Just remember moderation with anything is key. :)

Maverick answered on 10/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dogs love tomatoes! Tomatoes are healthy for dogs and it won't hurt them if they eat tomatoes.

Esme

My Lab loves cherry tomatoes from the garden too! So did our previous Lab. She also likes snow peas, green beans, zucchini, but doesn't care for cucumbers. Non-starchy veggies are good for dogs.

Too many might cause loose bowels, so I only gave her 4-5 at a time. I think it's just the leaves that contain a mild toxin.

Esme answered on 12/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer