Are there safer alternatives to steroid meds like prednisone for allergy/skin inflamation problems

Asked by Member 825323 on Apr 11th 2009 Tagged meds, prednisone, skin, allergy in Medications

Best Answer

Zack

Yes - Zack has terrible allergies, and I refuse to use steroids again because they only mask the symptoms - as soon as he is weaned off them, the allergies come back, worse than before. So I've tried several other things:

-Avoid/minimize allergen exposure: change foods, vacuum often, wash bedding with hypoallergenic detergent, clean the dog off with a cool wet rag when you come inside, brush the dog every day, etc
-Antihistamines or antibiotics (ask vet for brands and dosages)
-Keep up-to-date with flea/tick prevention (if flea allergy)
-Anti-microbial lotions and shampoos (get from vet); or shampoos for sensitive skin
-Fish oil supplement
-Vitamin E stick (in health food aisle) applied to dry/itchy spots
-Keep the dog busy (exercise, mental stimulation, etc.) so it has less time to think about itching

My vet also gave me a pamphlet about Atopica, another drug, but she told me it's VERY expensive and she would only recommend it in severe cases as a last resort.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on Apr 11th.

Answers

Have you or your vet looked into the food your dog is eating?? Many of the allergies come from the food choices. I have had great luck with Dr, Bruce Miller in Huntington, NY. He is a terrific vet. He is a Homeopathic vet and cured my dog completely of ALL allergies with Dr. Miller's Garden Pre-Mix. It is organic. Does not contain all the crap that causes allergies in animals. Try out his website. (dont know what it is but you can find it at Animal Wellness Center in Huntington NY. Good luck..I would absolutely try a food change than steroid medicines. If it has to be the steriods then so be it...But certainly worth trying all else first!!

Hi - I would love to help you - Yes, you can slowly go off steroids with your vet's help...
They can't be taken off quickly....do it slowly over a 2-3 week period of time. Tell your vet you want to try some supplements and Grain -FREE foods /
Here are some links to help:
Supplements and Foods-
Allergies / chewing paws : Steroid usage:
en.allexperts.com
Bulldog and Steroids
en.allexperts.com

I would trust your vet. No way is changing food going to help an allergy to something else. Even if your dog does have a food allergy, a simple change to another common food may be all that is needed. When my friend's dog guide became allergic to the Pro Plan chicken and rice she was feeding, she solved the problem by switching to Iams lamb and rice.

There is very little facts to back up most of what you read about dog food on the net. It is mostly marketing hype.