Are there problems with breeding a min pin with a shih tzu?

I have a male min pin and my mother has a female shih tzu. She wants to breed them and I am concerned about possible health issues in the resulting litter. The min pin is just over a year old and the shih tzu is about 3 years old and both in good health. Do I have a reason to be concerned about incompatibility?

Asked by Member 531215 on Nov 14th 2007 Tagged crossbreedinghealthissues in Cross Breeds

Best Answer

Moxie

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes there are problems! Don't do it!

Breeding should be left to breeders who have extensive knowledge of their breed, health problems, and genetics. Breed stock has been health tested and histories known. Breeders have knowledge of pregnancy and whelping let alone a sincere desire and responsibility to the welfare of their dogs.

Contact a couple reputable breeders and talk to them about everything it takes to be a quality breeder.

For the health of both dogs, don't breed them!

Moxie answered on Nov 14th.

Answers

I think you should talk to your mother about WHY she would like to breed them. Maybe start reading up about responsible breeding online; about the costs involved in it, the dangers, and problems, and then present those to her?

The fact is, breeding is not as easy as putting two dogs together and then selling the puppies through newspaper. Sure, there are people who do it this way and they are contributing, in a very large way, to the overpopulation problem.

Consider this: approximately 6 million dogs are dumped at shelters every year - JUST in the US. The majority of them are mixed breeds and Oops litters, but as many as 25% of them are purebred. Out of the 6 million, 4 million (60%) are killed because there are no homes for them.

Breeding responsibly is a huge commitment in terms of time, finances, and care. Good breeders title their dogs, get their hips, elbows, and eyes certified, and even do DNA testing.

Please read - learntobreed.com

Not much else to say to this since Moxie and Abby have answered this very well. I just want to support them and help to make you think twice before breeding them. There are so many mutts put to sleep daily because of overpopulation. You, your dogs and the rest of the animal population does not need any more beginner mutt breeders.

Maybe a bit harsh, but it is just a very bad idea!

Josie

Health and genetic issues- you should NOT do it.

For another reason even if you did find homes for your puppies you are ROBBING shelter dogs of homes they could have and essentially just killing them. They NEED those homes.

Josie answered on 11/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Xena

Great answers so far! I just want to add one more thing. Your min pin is still a bit too young at this point for breeding anyway. Males should be at least two years of age and undergo health testing (more than just a simple vet checkup) before being bred. I hope you tell your mom no!

Xena answered on 11/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Everyone else has said it best, but I'd like to add that they would be some uuuggglyy pups!!! BOL :)

I geuss what everyone is saying is politically correct. The truth of course can vary as can many issues. The hybrids would range from stately Toto diggers to Shihtzuesqe swimming dogs with a terrier attitude. THEY ARE NOT UGLY...we own one and know the family that did as you are contemplating for two litters...the pups were and are wonderful and covered a full range of appearances and ugly they were not!
Then again we tend to enjoy all dogs.
I wish the politically correct dog fanciers had the courage to be as adamant about humans as they are dogs..then again all kids are special so I may not be the one to ask

Dogs should NOT be bred until at least 2 years old! Beleive me, someone shouldn't breed dogs until they have years of study on responsible breeding and genetics and can take the huge responsibility of breeding. Trust me, I am currently studying on those things. Breeders are not only responsible for the puppies while they are in the breeder's care, but for the puppie's whole lives. Breeding dog is very difficult, and it is not a way to make money. It can and will use up every cent you have. Dogs should also not be bred unless they fit the standard for their breed. Sounds like your mom wants to breed one of those "designer breeds", a mixed breed with a cute name to make it sound rare. Designer breeds are sold by puppy mills and backyard breeders. These so-called breeders only make problems worse because they do it for money instead of the love of the breed.