Are there any physical health issues from eating deer guts? what are the symptoms?
While up in the north woods of Minnesota this past weekend, Leo found the stomach and intestines of, probably, a deer and started licking and nibbling. That night his eyes were really swollen, but got better by morning. That happened on Friday, today is Monday and he's really, REALLY, gassy (oh god, there he goes again - P.U.!) but no other symptoms. Just wondering if anyone knows of potential problems.
- This question is closed.
Not all wild animals are diseased and colloidal silver is actually toxic to dogs and quite dangerous to give them.
The swollen eyes has me stumped, but the eating of the intestines could have given him a stomach bug or parasite if the carcass was there a long time. I'm not surprised that he's gassy!
I'd keep an eye on his behavior. if he seems to be unhappy or is acting listless or tired or seems to be in any kind of discomfort, vet time. If he has diarrhea or lose or irregular stools, vet time. If he vomits more than one time, vet time. If the gas doesn't go away within a few more days, vet time....you get the idea.
In the meantime, try adding some plain boiled white rice to his food, maybe a handful or so. It will soothe an inflamed intestinal tract and help bind anything to it while is passes through. Since raw meat doesn't digest traditionally (it rots as it passes through in humans and dogs) the rice helps alleviate effects of bad bacteria that might be causing the gas.
Jack answered on Oct 20th.
to know for sure u should call and talk to leo's vet. good luck with the gas. i had a lab with pawful gas, so i know how it can be.
Some people feed their dog that kind of stuff. Other fume about it being in common dog foods. There is a danger of food poisoning besides the upset stomach. It sounds like a little ventilation will get you by this time.
Must have been a human kill. A wild animal would have eaten that first.
Aster answered on 10/19/09. Helpful? / 0
Any wild animal has diseases. I would give him Colloidal Silver and if he is really gassy or his stomach is hurting then give him Acidophilus.
It may be a good ideal to get some preventatives like Interceptor.
Most wild animals have parasites.
Hopefully all of it will flush out soon.
That is probably a gassy mess, poor dog.
My parents were big time deer hunters. We use to bury the guts. Mom suggested once my dogs eat it. I was like no way.
The only thing you can do is provide lots of water and maybe give him some pumpkin to push out the guts.(deer guts)
follow up soon and get his poo tested and a check up.
Dieta answered on 10/20/09. Helpful? / 0
actually the der's intestine could have had Bacteria,this is a fairly common one in ruminants
and it can be passed to dogs. I have goats and I have to keep an eye out as I believe deer can carry this and transmit it.
Easy fix, the vet can check and give meds if necessary.
Bam-Bam and Reyna said that it's no fair that Leo got so lucky! They are jealous! They'd love to eat some yummy deer tripe and meat!!!
Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 10/20/09. Helpful? / 0