Are strawberries toxic to dogs?

I fed my 14 week old bulldog puppy a fresh strawberry and then she went completely nuts, running around, crashing into things, etc. Was this just normal puppy high spirits or are strawberries toxic to dogs?

Asked by Member 615232 on Mar 31st 2008 Tagged fruittoxicitydogs in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Individual dogs can definitely have different allergies. But...strawberries is not a general one. Also, you might want to watch out for the chemicals on the strawberries. Were they organic? If not, farmers spray pesticides on nearly everything to keep the bugs off. She may have a reaction to that as well. But, I would be willing to bet it was just high puppy spirits. She may have even been trying to impress you for more strawberries. This may be her way of showing you she likes them. For a complete list of toxic foods visit this site:

www.healthypet.com That pretty much sums up everything you need to know about poison in dogs.

Husky Howls and Hugs,
Nikaya and mommy

answered on Mar 31st.

Answers

They're fine. Just a puppy thing. Any berry you can eat, so can your dog. Grapes and raisins are toxic though.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Dogs can certainly be allergic to things just like we can. But this is not normally the reaction that happens.I think you just experienced a high volocity zoom zoom from a puppy! I love to see our breeds zoom around the house when they are that young.It's like a sudden burst of energy that comes from no where.It's so cute!
I would love to see a picture of your new baby.
Have fun and enjoy those times of zooming because they don't last for long!!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jiggs  CGC

Sounds like a case of the Zoomies to me. Both of our Bulldogs get the Zoomies and the only word of the wise I can give is to "git outta da way"

Jiggs CGC answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zoom, zoom, vroom, vroom.....watch out for fast pups!

Individual dogs CAN be allergic to any foods, but in general, dogs can tolerate strawberries in moderation.

More than likely, she was just excited about an extra sweet treat.

Allergic reactions usually result in vomiting or an upset tummy. Serious reactions that need vet consultation have symptoms like facial swelling or wheezing or a rash.

My opinion is that your puppy is fine, just excited and a bit of a klutz. LOL. All totally normal for a 14 week old. :-)

Luka

Like a little kid getting a sour drop or running with a lollipop! My pup (1 year yesterday!!!) was standing there looking at my hubby and he reached down and touche her.... ZOOOM! and we live in a small apartment!

Definitely a candidate for the zoomies!

Luka answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

strawberries are not toxic to dogs grapes and raisens macodamia nuts and others are toxic. ur dog probly went wild cause he tasted sometin new and liked it