Lacie Belle

Are my dogs playing too rough...how much is too much???

We added a second dog to our house a month ago, and it seems that both dogs are getting along fairly well. The new dog just turned one and our resident dog will be 3 in July. Res. dog is an American Bulldog (80lbs/solid) and new dog is a boxer/amstaff/dane/hound mix ??? (67lbs/muscular). Anyhow, they play a lot and I know dogs are rough, but lately I've been finding scratches and bite marks behind my res. dog's right ear and a tuft of fur missing on her back (small). They are scabby, and seem to heal up fine, some are tiny, others bigger. She also ends up with scratch marks all over the place. I know that she has a lot less fur and softer skin than the other dog who has really thick fur and apparently tougher skin. Is this normal??? I monitor the play and they are treating each other the same...seemingly having a blast. Res dog bites the new dog the same way on the side of face and behind the ears, but he doesn't have marks or scabs. Should we be concerned?

Asked by Lacie Belle on Apr 28th 2008 Tagged rough play, biting in Socialization

Answers

Pedro

No your dogs are perfectly normal. My boys get playing rough but they know what each other can tolerate.Some dogs are a bit more sesitive when it comes to their skin.Sorta like humans. My only suggestion would be just keep an eye on them and if someone goes a bit to far and the other one reacts with aggression then you need to step in.Otherwise let them be dogs.
I also wanted to mention that your newbie looks like a Pit and Boxer mix. Sounds like you found a nice dog.
Good job on the adoption part too!

Pedro answered on 4/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

No. They're being normal. They're not intentionally hurting each other. My two are constantly rough-housing too. Just part of being a dog.

Miss Buddie answered on 4/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Flipper

As the others have answered, it sounds like it's pretty normal play. You should supervise them, though, during play, and perhaps keep them separated (or exhausted!) when you are not around. Educate yourself on dog body language so you can pick up the more subtle cues each might be giving. See www.wagntrain.com
and the book "Off-leash dog play" (www.dogwise.com for more information.

Flipper answered on 4/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer