♥Molly♥

are fruits and veggies harmful to dogs?

can someone list me all the ones that are harmful to dogs? also the ones they CAN eat? are crab apples harmful to dogs. molly got a hold of about 4 small crab apples on a walk. nothing happend no diereah..just want to know for future reference! THANX!!!

Asked by ♥Molly♥ on Oct 17th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

In most cases they pass through undigested. Too much, and the body may decide to rush the job. Apple and some other seeds are toxic, but it would take much more than that. One of the worst things is grapes and raisins. They are one of the few foods that a small amount will kill a dog. The scary thing about that is that it has been less than 10 years since it was widely known. Who knows what else.

Since I have a couple of manuals with lists in them, I have never hung on to a link. Besides, I usually manage to limit my dog to what comes out of a dog food bag,

Fruits that are harmful: Raisins and grapes. Actually, 5 years ago raisins were not poisonous to dogs, but now they are for some reason. You can give a dog a couple of raisins and it will not harm them (regular raisins). I gave my dogs a couple of raisins yesterday and they were fine.

Vegetables that are harmful: Onions and corn. Corn is bad because it makes the dog fat and causes gas, corn is bad for the dogs heart.

Other foods dogs can not have: Fatty meats, macadamia nuts, mushrooms, table scraps, salt, raw fish and regular potatos (NOT sweet potatos, sweet potatos are very, very good for dogs).

K-10 Von Canein

Here's a complete list for you. I don't agree with all of it, as I feed raw all the time, raw fish, raw egg, raw beef etc. But, here's what the "experts" say.
www.peteducation.com

K-10 Von Canein answered on 10/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Since Halloween is coming I'll add that sugarless foods sweetened with Xylitol are toxic to dogs. This includes sugarless gum, candy, cookies, and snacks.

shiloh Bear

if carrots were poisonous shiloh would have died a long time ago.

shiloh Bear answered on 10/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

We love strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, celery, blueberries, apples (no skin or seeds) avocados, and all sorts of goodies!

Maverick answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

sure they can eat them(except grapes and raisins), however they will pass through his system undigestied. They need to get most of their nutrients from meat. They can only digest veggies if they are pureed or cooked then mashed. most likely the next day you will find an untouched apple encased in a nice poop.

Chocolate answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

Grapes and raisins are harmful, but I'm not sure of any others. Of course don't feed seeds and/or pits, though.

Jet answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

crab apples are not good for dogs.
two things.
one the juices of apples in general acid in content and can make the dog or any animal have dirrehea also upset stomach.
also, secondly, Apple seeds are toxic to dogs as well.

So I would steer away from any type of apple.

There are lists of foods, and flowers on the internet.