Okami Amaterasu

Are female dogs that come into heat unable to participate in the showring?

Don't worry, I don't plan to show any dogs of mine, plus they are all spayed/neutered =). I was just thinking about that the other day; What does a dog handler do if their female goes into heat when the big competition comes up? Do they just not participate even if they have been looking forward to this for months?

Asked by Okami Amaterasu on Aug 1st 2011 Tagged showing in Movies & Television

Answers

Gia

Well usually in the AKC they only accept non spayed/nuetered dogs becuase they're supposed to be used for breeding which I highly disagree with becuase I see no difference other than better in spayed/nuetered dogs they don't realise that shelters are filled with dogs that need adoption. Anyways :) when female dogs go into heat there are noo stopping the male dogs, they will be all over them.

Gia answered on 8/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm not sure where Gia gets her info many times. A conformation dog show is an event designed to showcase a breeder's breeding program and dogs they are producing and how they stack up according to the breed standards. This is where other breeders go to see the dogs and decide which dog they may breed theirs to in order to improve toward that standard.
Thus, these dogs are NOT neutered as there wouldn't be any point in showing them if they couldn't produce themselves.
Female dogs ARE shown when they are in heat and the male dogs are TRAINED to not respond to these females. With responsible breeders, dogs are just not put together to breed... it is always a controlled experience and these males are trained in how to correctly respond.
In obedience and field shows females in heat are not allowed to participate. In most cases the owner knows about when their dog is due in heat and just doesn't enter shows around that time.

Conformation showing is meant to be a tool for reputable breeders to use to help evaluate their dogs. Unless breeding in any form is to be condemned, there is definite reason for it to be restricted to intact dogs. (Granted, not all breeders whose dogs compete in (and maybe even do well in) conformation are necessarily good breeders. There's such a thing as "show mills".)
However, I believe there are "just for fun" (conformation) competitions that neutered dogs are allowed to participate in.

Whoo, off topic. Sorry. ^^;

Seth

Yes they can still be shown, but out of good sportsmenship. You should let people know your dog is in heat and try to keep it away from the male dogs. I have also known people to pull their dog from competing because the dog is to far into heat and is kind of a mess.

Seth answered on 8/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Angela

Watchu mean dont worry?! It's not a bad thing to show your dogs! And 3 of my 4 dogs are unaltered, there's nothing wrong with that! I'm going to answer this by the rules of the akc, yes all conformation dogs do have to be unaltered, because as toto said, the shows are meant to evaluate breeding stock to decide which dogs should be bred to pass on certain favorable traits to the next generation and make the breed better as a whole ( they do have altered conformation for senior dogs, but you don't really get a title for it) as to a dog being in heat at show time, I know they don't allow them to compete in sports (agility, rally,etc.) when they're in heat, but I'm not 100% about conformation shows,
I don't really think they're allowed and most breeders know when their dogs are in heat and try not to plan any dog shows around that time, you'll have to check with the akc to find that out

Angela answered on 8/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer