Duke

Are dogs with cropped ears at risk of developing aggression or is this a random, probably perception driven, standard?

I was looking around a local dog boarding/daycare facilities and came across one that doesn't accept Pit Bulls. I understand the majority of places have higher insurance or whatever that prevents them cost wise from accepting breeds with dangerous reputations...but what threw me off was the statement that followed: "We do not accept Pit Bull mixes with cropped ears."
I'm familiar with the process of cropping on a basic level...but does having your dog’s ears cropped put them at risk for being more aggressive? It doesn't seem like a factor that would play into that unless it was done in some kind of horrible way when the dog was older and conscious. Also, for owners of pits or pit mixes (or Dobermans, Great Danes, Bostons…anything requiring cropped ears by show standards), is this something you see often? It seems completely random to me.

Asked by Duke on Jun 3rd 2013 Tagged croppedears in Aggression

Answers

Kagra

i do not think cropping ears causes aggression but it is more of a perception thing...they probably have found that the public when seeing a dog with cropped ears is much less comfortable then a dog with drop ears. Dog with cropped ears appear more threatening and they are probably trying to make as many people feel comfortable at their facility which means they do not want any type of dog that could be perceived as threatening or dangerous.

Kagra answered on 6/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Frankly, I would guess it's not a dog thing, it is a people thing. Around here, at least, those who chop (sorry, CROP) off their pit's ears are usually doing other things which none of us here approve of, things such as fighting them, training them to be aggressive, etc.
I do not mind boarding pits at all in our kennel BUT, I have also found that those idiots who crop their pits ears have other trained behaviors which make them ill suited to boarding with other dogs.

Ella

It is most likely a perception thing. My pittie's momma has cropped ears, and she is as friendly as can be to people and other dogs. BUT, I also know that people automatically throw up a higher guard when they see any "aggressive" breed dog with cropped ears. They do frequently crop a pittie's ears for fighting, but some registries require it for showing as well, which you obviously know.

Ella answered on 6/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

no - dogs with cropped ears, tail docking is mostly done for anesthetics - show and looks by the dog owner. Has nothing to do with behaviors in dogs unless the dog owner trains that particular dog to be aggressive. Cropped ears, and tail docking is banned in many European countries. Many USA vets will not or do not offer that surgery to crop dogs, but is trending back in some breeds. Natural (uncropped) dogs vs cropped - all in the dog owners decision to have it done. People fear some cropped breeds because of continued misconceptions about the breed and are stereotyped.

Aggression behaviors in dogs happens from poor obedience or improper training or life traumas from puppy life stages, lack of socialization including.

Starbutt

I would like also to point out along with show dogs there are reason's also to dock or crop due to the dog working like a hunting dog they docked the tail so going thruogh brush it would not be caught on things as they looked for what the hunter shot I can't recall cropping for this but I seem to think so. If the dog is not to be in show or of working nature I don't think there is any reason to do either but some think it makes the dog more menacing or cool (scarcastically said)

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer