Are dog's mouths really "germy"?

My dad says that they are, my mom says that their mouths are cleaner than a person's mouth. Which one should I believe?
For "proof", my dad says that you need a tetanus shot when you get a dog bite. Well, IMO that's not good proof because anytime something punctures your skin you need a tetanus shot. If a person bit you and tore the skin they would give you a tetanus shot then too.
So who's mouth is cleaner? A person's or a dog's?

Asked by Gray Dawn Treader on Mar 2nd 2008 in News & Events

Best Answer

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw this recently, but I did see somewhere that the idea that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's is actually an urban legend.

Dog mouths are not any cleaner than ours, and when you consider how much bacteria is in either a dog or human mouth, it certainly makes one stop and think about kissing people or pups on the lips. LOL!

Jack answered on Mar 2nd.

Answers

Dudley

Not that I'd want to get bit by either. All bites human or otherwise should recieve special treatment. I would like to think we live germ free, but thats not the case. Since dogs do put things in their mouthes we often would not (raw, decaying, dead things etc) there are some things to be cautious of. Since I don't have a degree in anytype of biological science, nor a microscope I can't answer definitively, but I did come across two articles (each from the opposite point of view)

1. ) abcnews.go.com
2. ) urbanlegends.about.com

Both make good points. But like i said, I'd just rather not get bit.

Dudley answered on 3/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

Jack, I think I saw that report from John Stossel, one of those "Gimme a Break" type reports. They were dispelling all kinds of urban legends/old wives tales.

Emm has ate poo, ate puke, and done all kinds of things that are just too disgusting. I do let her "kiss" me, but I quickly wash up after, BOL.

Although I have "heard" that getting bit by a person is really dangerous, I can't tell you if this is "truth" or just a tale.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 3/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

They covered this on "Mythbusters" too.

Everyone's mouth is dirty. People's. Dogs'. We all have bacteria living in our mouths. I don't think people's mouths are necessarily cleaner than a dogs'. They just contain different bacteria.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HERBIE

WELL PEOPLE BRUSH THEIR TEETH EVERYDAY, AND NOT ALL DOGS DO!

BUT MOMMIE HAD A CUT ON HER LEG, AND FOR SOME REASON, I WAS SO ATTRACTED TO IT. I LOOKED AT MOMMIES LEG LIKE IT WAS A T-BONE STEAK!!!!

BUT MOMMIE WOULDNT LET ME NEAR IT, CAUSE IT HURT, AND WAS ALSO A TYPE OF BURN SO SHE HAD MEDICINE ON IT.
WELL AFTER A FEW DAYS WITH NO RELIEF FROM THE MEDS, MOMMIE WASHED ALL MEDS OFF AND WENT TO SLEEP, SHE WOKE UP TO ME LICKING THE WOUND, AND SHE SAID IT HURT, BUT NOT TOO BAD, WITHIN 3 DAYS OF ME LICKING IT LIKE 2-3 TIMES A DAY, IT WAS HEALED....NO SCARS EITHER!!!

SO MAYBE OUR MOUTHS ARE DIRTY, BUT MAYBE SOMETIMES WE HELP.

HERBIE answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer