Riley

Are dandelions okay for dogs to eat?

The other day me and my sister were out with Riley, and were throwing around dandelions, but after a while he actually started chewing on them and eating them.. is that alright, or should I try to discourage it?

Asked by Riley on May 2nd 2010 Tagged dandelions in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Sassy

They are actually very nutritious. Dogs cannot get much out of them but the nutrition is there! As the others wrote, the main problem is potential poisoning.

Sassy answered on May 3rd.

Answers

My dog's eat dandelions all the time. We have them all over the place. They will not do any harm to your dog. If the dandelions are sprayed with weed killer or some kind of poison, then don't let your dog eat them.

I don't think you should encourage is necessarily, but I also don't think it will hurt him.

The trouble with the weed killer or chemicals is how do you know for sure what's on them? In our area, we have a gardening crew that takes care of the vegetation on the city street area so we never know what they are up to.

Some dogs can be allergic to dandelions, but that's pretty rare.