Are blueberries good for dogs, and if so, how much is a safe amount ?

I feed my dog a natural dog food , plus I buy her a cooked chicken once a week so she gets enough protein in her diet .

I was wandering if blueberries are good for dogs, like an occasional treat once or twice a week ?

I read online somewhere a few years ago that someone fed their rat blueberries every day and he lived to be 15, because of the high content of antioxidants, whereas normal rats only last around 2 years. I don't know if that story is true , but it inspired me to ask this question lol I love my dog and want her to live as long as possible .

Asked by Member 608182 on Jan 3rd 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Blueberries are safe in moderation.

As with any fruit - berry or citrus - moderation is key. Blueberries are part of a lot of high quality formulas of dog food these days, though again, they are in moderation.

Diarrhea and vitamin overdoses can happen if you feed too much of any food, especially fruit.

I feed Jack Wellness Super 5 and bluberries are already an ingredient, as well as several other antioxident foods.

Just a side note, though. I noticed you said that you buy Lailah a cooked chicken once a week. Just make sure that chicken is not a rotisserie chicken, which has way too much sodium for a dog's diet. Plain, baked chicken is much better for her. That might be what you meant, but I thought I'd throw that out there, anyway!

Hope that helps!

:-)

Jack answered on Jan 3rd.

Answers

I had a similar experience feeding berries to one of our hamsters that had cancer. I don't know how old she was when we got her (found her one day), but w/ a diet rich in berries and other "super foods" she lived for 3 years. normally a fully healthy one will live only a year or two.

anyway, when I have blueberries in the house I feed them to my (50lb-ish) dogs. I will give them anywhere from a tablespoon to an ounce or so. they enjoy them and most fruit contains water soluble vitamins so there's little to no risk of overdose.