Elvis *Angel*

Are Baked Beans poisonous for dogs?

My husband dumped boston baked beans into the trash and left the lid off...and Elvis ate a few bites. Anybody know if these are poisonous to dogs or things I should look for? He is on a special diet right now and on prescription i/d dog food. He's not allowed fatty things like raw hides or treats.

Asked by Elvis *Angel* on Nov 9th 2007 Tagged beansdogspoisonous in Food & Nutrition

Answers

No, Boston baked beans are not poisonous to dogs.

While they generally include some things that are unhealthy (such as sugar), if your dog only had a few bites he'll be fine.

He may have a bit of an upset tummy, depending on how well he handles new or weird foods, but other than that you shouldn't see any problems with the baked beans.

The baked beans have some fat in them, so the only thing to watch for would be pancreatitis. But, I agree with Abby that the amount and duration he ate the beans is probably just fine.

He might be slightly poopy, especially since the ID is such a mild food. Beans aren't exactly known for being easy on the tummy. LOL!

If you notice any ongoing gastrointestinal problems, a vet visit is in order.

But, I think that Elvis will more than likely just be fine.

Jack ate about 1/2 of a large chicken burrito, complete with beans and salsa a couple of months ago (hey, everyone makes mistakes....mine was leaving the room while the burrito was below the terrier line....)

He was FINE. Nothing unusual. I couldn't believe it!