are all types of lettuce ok for dogs, my dog has crystals in his urine, what can i feed him safely

are all types of lettuce safe for dogs to eat, also , my dog has crystals in his urine, he doesn't like the food the vet prescribed, any ideas on what i can make at home that will help with the crystals.....thanks

Asked by Member 800085 on Feb 2nd 2009 Tagged food, crystalsinurine, lettuce in Homemade Food

Answers

Not sure about the lettuce.

You can get him to eat his prescribed food by setting it down for 10 to 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, put it up and don't feed him that day. The next day, put his food out for the set time again. Keep doing this until he eats his food. It's called tough love.

shiloh Bear

my dog loves lettuce. ive been giving my dogs lettuce and tomatoes for years and nothing bad ever happened to them

shiloh Bear answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Is the food prescribed Science Diet k/d by any chance?
I fed that to my dog for the same thing, once, and she nearly died from losing so much weight and simply switching back to her old food solved it.
I've heard stories of dogs dying from getting liver problems and weight loss after eating that food as well.
My dog never liked it either.
I agree with Dawntreader though, make him eat it even if he doesn't want to, but if he starts losing weight (after eating the food) then be sure you tell the vet and don't keep feeding the food if he loses a lot.
I don't know about the lettuce either, I don't think it would hurt though. Ask your vet about it!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Since he has urine issues, I'd call the vet to be absolutely sure. Also, if he doesn't like the new food, maybe there's an alternative that your vet can recommend.

I had a dog on the K/D food with kidney problems and we switched from the kibble to the wet food and it was much better.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winnie Mae

Don't feed Science Diet, Purina, Iams. Most of that stuff is almost all corn! Find something better. Send me an email if you need some suggestions on good foods. Lettuce I would suppose, is fine. But maybe your dog doesn't like his food because he is eating people food too much? Make sure you don't feed him tons of people food. I would talk to the vet about the crystals.

Winnie Mae answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Morgan

I don;t know about lettuce, I don't like it, I do know a bit about crystles though. I also had crystles, they built to stones in the bladder, which led to me having surgery two or so yrs. ago. The doc. put me on Potassium Citrate Plus cranberry chewable tabs, my crystles are down to trace amounts. the tabs make urine more alkaline so stones can't form. than monthly my urine is checked to see all is well. there are special diets to help but are high in fat, which caused me to develope pancretitis, now I'm on a very low fat perscription diet, (I hate it) mom cooks me chicken and puts some in my food so I might eat it.You can find the potassium citrate at www.Lambertvetsupply.com thats the cheapest we found it. But first ask your vet about it , It made a difference in my life. Good luck

Morgan answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

If he won't eat the food try mixing it with some salt free broth and warming it a bit. If your dog has crystals it is very important to force fluids. My kidney disease dog gets watery soup for her three meals a day.

There are a lot of different sorts of crystals possible you must know which one the dog has before changing a diet. The two I know something about are struvite [phosphorus] and oxalate [calcium]. Sturvite are caused by infection, the dog needs to have the urine cultured and go through a course of antibiotic and do a culture after the antibiotic is finished to be certain the infection is gone. Oxalate crystals are caused by a little defect in the dog's metabolism and must be treated with special food.

Lettuce isn't a food dogs can get much nutrition from, don't know why you would want to feed it. Most types of lettuce aren't listed as to oxalate content but iceberg is listed as low oxalate.

Sassy answered on 2/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Indian Warrior

My dogs will eat lettuce and all is well for them. It depends however on your individual dog and if your dog is allergice or sensitive to certain foods.

I have a heeler mix pup (Warrior) who sometmes does not want his bowl of food, Now I suspect the neighbor is giving him treats, so he turns up full at dinner time. He also has a high metabolizm rate so If I dont feed him highly nutricious foods he looses weight easily.

I mix together with his kibble once or twice a week, cooked egg, flax meal, wheat germ, a meat of somekind in his bowl with nutritinol yeast, and he is all over it. For a time (summer mostly when he is super active) He might get this kind of mixture once a day for a week or two, if I notice he is loosing weight and his hair is thinning.

You can make dog biscuts at home too. Just google "home made dog biscuts" and you will find some great recipies.

My other heeler eats everything in sight with no issues. :-) Like it was his last bowl of food....

Indian Warrior answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer