Anyone shave a pug for summer weather?

I've "heard" of this being done to aid their heat related problems but can't find anything in writing. We are VERY V ERY careful with our 9 yr. old sweetheart!

Asked by Member 811030 on Jun 14th 2009 in Pug

Answers

A dog's fur is it's insulation ins hot and cold weather. It traps cool air under in the summer, and traps warm air in the winter. To shave a dog will only make the heat get to it all the more.

I don't shave Deogie in the summer and was even advised by my vet not to do so.
Like previous poster mentioned fur insulates them and actually keeps them cooler.
Of course I use common sense when it comes to exercise. His walks are moved to early morning and late eveniing. We hose his paws before and after walking and randomly during the day. Plenty of cool drinking with ice cubes added and a wading pool (which Deogie doesn't use) will keep them cooler. Also shade outside where they can relax.
Have a good one.

mistie

i never heard of it i would never shave my pug i think its wrong to do it

pugs might get really hot with there furs but also they can be cold my pug has to be in my blackets at night

mistie answered on 9/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Promise

We joke about shaving our pugs in the summer but would never actually do it. Their fur protects them from outside irritants (grass, plants, bugs, etc) as well as the sun. One suggestion is when it gets too warm, have a nice little baby pool ready for them to splash around in, just make sure the water isn't so high that it scares them. Just high enough to get a little higher than their feet wet. If they decide to flop down and wallow in it, even better! Also, make sure to have plenty of cool water available and some shade (and let them into the cool air when they get TOO hot - pugs can get heat stress or heat stroke just like people).

Just a thought! :)

Promise answered on 3/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer