Anyone know how to get rid of/prevent tear staining under the eyes? We have a 10 week old Maltichon.

Asked by Member 1156354 on Feb 21st 2013 in Other Grooming

Answers

Keeva

Everyone has their own ideas about tear staining but I want to tell you our experience. When we got our pup at 8 weeks she had tear stains. We got her from a breeder that lived in the city and used city water. We live in the country and have well water and her tear stains went completely away. I often wonder if it is because we give her filtered well water. Maybe try bottled water for her and see if you notice a difference. I know there are products out there, such as Angel Eyes, that people use. Good luck!

Keeva answered on 2/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ollie

I bumped into a lady who had two beautiful white bichons without any tear stains. She recommended Angel's Glow sold on Amazon. I have been giving it to my year old puppy and it works like a charm. Love it, no more tear stains, she looks like a real diva now!!!

Ollie answered on 2/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Products such as Angel Eyes and Angels Glow contain the antibiotic Tylan. Frankly, I am not willing to subject my dog to daily doses of an antibiotic just to prevent tear stains. It IS legal since the antibiotic Tylan is NOT LICENSED for dogs so doesn't apply to being prescription only for products made for dogs. Scary, huh?
Your best bet is to keep the area clean with daily washing and to feed a quality food with no artificial dyes or other artificial ingredients. Grain free does help as the carbohydrates convert to sugars which "feed" the bacteria causing the tear stains.
Distilled or purified water can help as some staining is caused by minerals in the water.
It is also helpful to get a good eye exam by a veterinary ophthalmologist to rule out any eye issues causing excessive tearing or the failure of the tears to drain properly thru the tear ducts.

Petri

You might try PETfection Eye Wash & Cleaner. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and is excellent at getting rid of the gunk and smells (and infections too). It won't necessarily take away the tear staining, but if you keep the eyes wiped out regularly, it will cut down on the gunk that causes the tear staining. I would use it as a preventative. What is also nice is it will soothe the eye if it gets itchy or red. It is very gentle and definitely safe to use (no chemicals in it). I highly recommend it! Hope this helps, best of luck.

Petri answered on 2/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer