Otto: Rest in Peace 1996-2011

Anyone have fluid filled lumpy sack just under skin as a result of suture tears?

I just had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a lump on my ribcage (it was benign). Now, the vet says that some of the inside stitches have torn slightly and I am leaking fluid just under the skin which he says, should resolve. Today, though, the lump looks about the size of a golf ball. Is it possible for infection to start here, should I get it drained, or will the fluid just reabsorb and go away? Any advice? My vet left me lumpy and clueless as to what to do! Woof!!

Asked by Otto: Rest in Peace 1996-2011 on Jan 24th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

It is quite rare that this would occur with a simple excision-type surgery, but no surgery is EVER routine. It is quite possible that the inner-sutures have torn, leaving the fluid-filled lump, but a cytology would have confirmed this. If your vet didn't aspirate the lump, I'd seek a second opinion. Chances are favorable that there will be resorption of the fluid, but usually a fine-needle aspirate is performed in these instances to confirm the cause of the lump/the source of the fluid.

In any case of fluid retention in a localized area under the skin, there is a chance of infection. Hence my suggestion to either 1) request an aspirate from your vet or 2) seek a second opinion! (I find second opinions valuable, as vets are human and one might find something another has missed. It's not a lack of trust, it's just another set of eyes giving a learned opinion about a specific case.)

answered on Jan 24th.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

THe above answer is a good one to follow. But I will add that if the area is at the bottom of the rib cage on the chest area then it's probably nothing to worry about just ask for some antibiotics if you vet won't give them after ALL that money you spent then shame on them I would seek out another opinion!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer