Anyone feed their dogs raw chicken necks?

I am totally new to raw diet for dogs and I bought some raw/frozen chicken necks as a special treat for my Jack Russells. I have to admit I'm kind of scared to give it to them though because it's raw and b/c of the bones. Any thoughts or advice?

The woman at the store assured me that chicken necks are safe for dogs to eat but I'm scared because it's something I've never fed my dogs before.

Asked by Member 1104728 on Apr 7th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Riley Phillips

A lot of people are afraid of chicken bones but they are only dangerous when cooked. I found a butcher who saves the backs and necks for me. I use my food processor to grind up carrots, coliflower, brockley, sweet potatoe and sometimes apples and I take it to the butcher and he grids the backs and necks and mixes it with the ground vegies and then he freezes it in flat boxes. When frozen he cuts it on his meat saw to the exact size I need for daily portions for my 2 paps. I just thaw out one cube every day. I have been feeding this way for 5 years now. The ground bone gives them the calcium that they need. Never be afraid to feed raw. A dog in the wild would kill a chicken and eat the meat, bone, skin, feathers and all.
I believe that this is a very healthy way to feed my Paps because I know exactly what is in there. Dogs run into trouble when they find cooked chicken bones in someones garbage because they splinter so badly.
Good luck with feading your dog raw meat.

Riley Phillips answered on 4/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My only concern with the chicken necks is that they are rather small, even for a small dog. It's generally considered best to feed cuts about as large as the dog's head. But I've fed chicken necks on numerous occasions.
RAW chicken bones are *not* brittle like cooked ones, and actually are softer than most bones. Plus, there is muscle and other things holding the bone in place, making it safer for a dog to eat. (Feeding bare bone is generally considered a bad idea.)
Just be safe and supervise.