Tiny Rogi

Anyone allergic to their dog's flea medication?

Anyone allergic to Revolution? My hubby recently purchased a new box of Revolution flea meds for our dog and he applied it about 2 weeks ago. Since applying it, I have broke out in a rash on my arms and legs. Whenever the dog goes near me, my skin reacts. The dog is fine, but not me.

We've used this medication for over a year now with no problems. I also don't have any allergies to my dog, so I know for sure it's the medication. I haven't changed anything else in my diet or household.

Has anyone else reacted to their dog's flea or tick medication? If so, what did you do to relieve yourself from the symptoms? I'm just wondering if I have to wait for a month for the meds to "die out" until I stop reacting. I also know that flea meds are filled with toxic ingredients and I'm wondering if the Revolution formula was changed recently?

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Asked by Tiny Rogi on Oct 30th 2013 Tagged fleameds, revolution, allergies, reaction in Health & Wellness

Answers

I have seen this in animals, but not people. Changes in one active ingredient can affect your reaction. Luckily there are other medications, like trifexis or comfortis, that do the same things, and next month you can switch your dog to that and see if there is an improvement. Do not touch the medication or pet your dog near the application site for at least 48 hours to be safe. It can absorb into your skin just as easily as your dog's, so at least you won't have to worry about fleas, haha. J&J first aid cream will help to moisturize the rash area after you have thoroughly cleaned it. If it does not start to subside within a couple of weeks, you need to make a dr. appointment for yourself (not at the vet) ^_^ Feel better!!!

I would suggest that you use aromatherapy instead.

For fleas and ticks, mix 15-20 drops of any of following essential oils with a base oil and spray on your dog daily.

* For fleas – citronella, peppermint, lemon, clary sage
* For ticks – lavender, myrrh, bay, geranium

You never react to the first exposure to an allergen, but your system builds up to a histamine response after at least 2 exposures.

Ask your Vet for other options, perhaps not topical?

I'd have to agree with the essential oil spray, it works great! We haven't seen fleas in years and it's very affordable. I have heard of allergies with flea medication before a couple of times.